What is the difference between vermuten and erraten?

They both mean somehow guessing.
I came to think that erraten is actually closer to the meaning "guessing", while vermuten is in reality something a bit stronger than just guessing, maybe like knowing but just partially.
Is what I think correct? Is this the way to differentiate them?

Vermuten means to suppose, surmise, suspect... basically any verb that expresses the idea of thinking something without knowing it for a fact but knowing that one doesn't know it for fact.

Erraten is to guess in sense of guessing correctly.

|improve this answer|||||
  • erraten can be modified to mean still guessing >> versuchen zu erraten; Generally erraten aims for certainity while vermuten just gets the right direction. – Dawnkeeper Jan 28 '15 at 17:34
  • @Dawnkeeper... that doesn't change the meaning of "erraten" one bit. It means "try to guess correctly". If "erraten" were changed then it would mean "to attempt making a guess". "Erraten" doesn't aim for certainty, it IS certainty. "Vermuten" on the other hand can be quite the wrong direction too. – Emanuel Jan 28 '15 at 21:10

If you have erraten something, you are already right. If you are still guessing, the word is raten.

For example:

Guess how old I am?
Rate, wie alt ich bin?

If the answer is right, this phrase could follow:

You guessed right!
Du hast es erraten!

Vermuten means to suppose something.
E.g., the doctor can say:

Ich vermute, es handelt sich um einen Virus.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.