I looked for the meaning of flach on Duden and I understood most of it.

Just the forth and last meaning is for me not clear and I am not sure exactly about how to use flach in that way.

Flach = ohne [gedankliche] Tiefe und daher nichtssagend, unwesentlich; oberflächlich, banal

Can you write me some other examples in which flach can be used with that meaning?

• Not directly an answer, but the word "Flachzange" is used jokingly for a not-so-clever person: gutefrage.net/frage/… – Landei Jan 28 '15 at 15:20

If you hear a speech from a politician. Then you could say

Die Rede war flach

That would mean, that the person was speaking without saying anything or without giving proper information.

It is also common to say:

Der war aber flach

If somebody told a very poor and easy joke. I dunno, if a joke can be easy, i mean, that this kind of joke is very trivial and people don't need to think about it.

If your wife rolls her eyes on your joke you can almost always be sure it was flach... :-) – Thorsten Dittmar Jan 28 '15 at 14:04

In English you would say "shallow". A different, but similar, metaphor.

• Gefragt waren weitere Beispiele, keine Übersetzung. – user unknown Jan 30 '15 at 18:01

Der Witz war flach.

Das System meint, meine Antwort sei zu flach mit 19 Zeichen, also noch dieser selbstbezügliche, etwas längere Text. Tiefer wird es damit aber auch nicht.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.