In German, is there a preferred way of saying with whom or with which?

For example,

Die jungen Kinder, mit wem ich arbeite, sind schikaniert worden.

The young children, with whom I work, have been bullied.

Or is this construction better? It seems less personal to me, as if I were not to know them.

Die jungen Kinder, mit den ich arbeite, sind schikaniert worden.

The young children, with which I work, have been bullied.

Just a comment on your subject line: I find it a bit confusing - after all, you are NOT asking after "which" or "whom", but after the German equivalents/translations. As the question stands, I interpret it as a question about English grammar, which would be off topic.m – Gerhard Feb 6 '15 at 21:23
    And that also applies to parts of the question. – Carsten S Feb 6 '15 at 22:58

The sentence requires a dative relative pronoun which in this case would be denen because die jungen Kinder is plural. So correct would be

Die jungen Kinder, mit denen ich arbeite, sind schikaniert worden.

German does not have distinct personal pronouns like English, only relative pronouns, with the exception that damit, womit cannot be used of persons; mit dem or mit den is used instead. You have to rely on context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.