I'm getting better at working out the case I should use in many sentences but I thought of a sentence like:

Here is our dog

would our dog all be in the accusative case because it is the argument to is/sein? so if I wrote:

Hier ist den Hund

I guess that would be correct because the dog should be in the accusative here. But when adding the additional info saying it is our dog does that change the case to be genative to show ownership, would it be accusative or genative?

Hier ist unseren Hund

oder

Hier ist unseres Hund

It's not actually right.

After sein, bleiben and werden we use nominative.

Hier ist der Hund.

Adding "our" changes nothing, exactly as in English, you do not say

Here is our dog's. / Here is our's dog. (Nothing like that)

You just say

Here is our dog.

In German it would be

Hier ist unser Hund.

Note the form "unser", which is correct for masculine and neuter, nominative (unser Hund, unser Haus).

More examples for better understanding:

Er ist mein Onkel.

Ich werde Vater.

Meine Ex-Freundin ist und bleibt eine nervige Zicke.

The comparison with English does not help much here, because English speakers do not use cases consistently for this, compare "it's me". – Carsten S Mar 2 '15 at 12:37
  • Although Stephie is right in noting that this was not the question ;) – Carsten S Mar 2 '15 at 12:40

While Barth is correct on the usage of nominative after sein/bleiben/werden, in your case there is even a simpler explanation:

The subject of your sentence is "our dog" -> and the subject is in nominative.

Therefore you translate "Here is our dog." to:

"Hier ist unser Hund."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.