In my German book (B1), I encountered the following sentence:

Ab Mitternacht denken die Programmgestalter verstärkt an einsame Herzen.

Normalerweise I would translate verstärken with to enforce, but this does not seem to work in this sentence. Additionally, I do not really understand the preposition ab in this context. I tried looking it up, but my dictionary does not help my much.

Please note: "verstärkt" is an adverb here, so it refers to the verb "denken". So your "enforced" becomes "in an enforced way". Perhaps that puts you on the right track? (Just an additional thought complementing to the good answers below.)
    – Stephie
    Mar 4 '15 at 7:38
  • @Stephie Yes I think my problem was indeed that I did not recognize that it was an adverb. I thought it was a verb. Thanks!
    – Funzies
    Mar 5 '15 at 18:28

In this context verstaerkt means that they think more about the lonley hearts. An the ab means that from midnight on.

Generally I would say that doing something verstaerkt means doing it more intensively

Verstärken can also mean to increase, reinforce, strengthen. In this case it simply means that from midnight on (ab Mitternacht) lonely hearts (einsame Herzen) are a particular concern of theirs, that they focus on them, gear their program towards them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.