I keep seeing that abbreviation on dict.cc and other dictionaries, but I can't find what it is short for.

closed as off-topic by Jan, boaten, Em1, Hubert Schölnast, Emanuel Apr 11 '15 at 22:21

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Voting to close, because the answer can be easily found by consulting a reference (Plus most paper dictionaries have one included.) – Jan Apr 10 '15 at 23:42
    I opted to leave this question open because I strongly suspect insaner is not the only one at a loss with abbreviations and this would be, at least in a comment, an opportunity to give them useful hints. On the dict.cc site the abbreviations link is quite unremarkable and an abbreviation itself (Abk.), almost uncomprehendable for users unfamiliar with German shortcuts, and Google makes you choose between underground gas storage, Uganda Shilling, unattended ground sensor, undergraduate studies, and the like. – Martin Schwehla Apr 11 '15 at 6:08
    Even dict.cc has got a reference: dict.cc/guidelines – blutorange Apr 11 '15 at 7:57
    How does that question get 3 upvotes... the reference that is mentioned in the question HAS THE ANSWER. – Emanuel Apr 11 '15 at 22:23
    @Emanuel Try to put yourself into the position of somebody who doesn't know what you know. It shouldn't be necessary to start a query on a site to access basic usability features, and if you have a better know-how of finding the proper hits for a string in a Google search, people here who don't will be greatful if you share that know-how with them. – Martin Schwehla Apr 12 '15 at 7:05

Ugs. == umgangssprachlich see also https://dict.leo.org/ende/?lang=de&search=umgangssprachlich

This abbreviation is one of the many metalinguistic signs and symbols used in dictionaries and linguistic works of reference in order to save precious space and to clear the layout.

In printed works, the abbreviations are usually included in the introductory part of a dictionary, i.e. on the first few pages. In online resources, you have to look for links labeled "Abkürzungen", "Abk.", "Hilfe", "Help", "Shortcuts", and the like, but you may also access the abbrevations list through a site search. A search engine query might be most promising if you include "German" or "Deutsch" in the search string, as it was already pointed out in a comment.

This answer has received too many upvotes imho. – Jan Apr 11 '15 at 11:14
  • @Jan But why, it perfectly covers the question. – Martin Schwehla Apr 11 '15 at 13:03
  • @Jan, proving that it is a highly valued answer (and therefore question) that is valid and needed on SE. – insaner Apr 11 '15 at 15:16
  • @serfix Sorry to "hijack" your answer but it seemed necessary in order to back up the question in the light of the discussion here. As the question is on hold I couldn't post an answer of my own. Of course you're free to roll back if you are not happy with this. – Martin Schwehla Apr 13 '15 at 6:38
    @MartinSchwehla At least your hijacking has now made the answer worth upvoting. – Jan Apr 13 '15 at 8:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.