I have the issue that I need to fit the word synchronisiert in a column header (computer program) where I don't have the space.

Is there some accepted 'shortened form' or abbreviation that I can use, let's say 8-9 characters?

• There is nothing wrong with sync., I'd say. Not exactly an official abbreviation (is there such a thing?), but should be understood by your audience. – Ingmar Apr 16 '15 at 9:49

Yes,

the official abbreviation is : "sync."

| improve this answer | |
  • This sounds ambiguous, as it can also stand for the action synchronisieren (which implies the exact opposite, namely that the column is not currently synchronisiert). – O. R. Mapper Apr 16 '15 at 11:42
    I think you should specify what you mean by 'official'. Did you find it in a dictionary? Is it recommended by some screen writers' association or something? – user2183 Apr 16 '15 at 11:48
  • Do you have a source/reference for this? – Gerhard Apr 16 '15 at 23:45

In case we have a space of 8-9 characters we may also consider to not abbreviate at all but use the adjective stem "synchron" (synchronous) instead of the verb:

SYNCHRON
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.