I try to find a colloquial way to express "to show off" but I really have no clue among all these possibilieties which one to choose. I actually think I just heard "mit (etwas)angeben" .. What would you say is the best way to say that?

Something that would work in sentences like that: "She likes to show off her jewellery" "Oh, come on man! Stop showing off!" (funny)

enter image description here

The dictionary extract you posted is actually quite good. Most of the given translations work, their meaning is quite different, though.

She likes to show off her jewelry.

Would translate to any of the following:

Sie gibt mit ihren Juwelen an. (Emphasizes that she has precious jewelry and others don't)

Sie posiert mit ihren Juwelen. (Emphasizes on the presentation aspect)

Sie zeigt ihre Juwelen stolz vor. (She is proud about the jewelry).

Sie prahlt mit ihren Juwelen. (Negative aspect: She is trying to envy others) etc...

So it really depends on what exactly you want to express when choosing the correct expression. Maybe you provide your real example?

• "come on man! Stop showing off!" This would be the sentence I am mostly interested in – E.V. Apr 20 '15 at 12:45
    @E.V.: That would be: "Oh Mann, hör' auf anzugeben!" – Stephie Apr 20 '15 at 17:26
    Another variant which emphasizes the "I'm wealthy" aspect is "protzen". – CodesInChaos Apr 20 '15 at 18:23

You heard right, as a native speaker I'd say:

1. a show off (noun): Angeber
  2. to show off (verb): angeben
  3. to show off sth.: mit etwas angeben

The other translations you found are not wrong, but more matching to special cases.

• I would possibly add "prahlen" to the more common ones - although it would be a bit more formal to my ears. In the Rheinland I've heard people use it in everyday speech, however. – Gerhard Apr 20 '15 at 22:24
  • @Gerhard: Geht "prahlen" nicht ein wenig in die Richtung, dass der Gegenstand des Angebens explizit beschrieben wird? Meinem Eindruck nach kann man zum Beispiel damit angeben, toll Geige spielen zu können, indem man einfach bei jeder Gelegenheit Geige spielt, auch ohne ein Wort zu sagen. Mit dieser Fertigkeit prahlen kann man aber nur, indem man explizit durch Worte darauf hinweist, dass man es besonders gut kann. – O. R. Mapper Apr 21 '15 at 7:59
    @O.R.Mapper: Würde ich auch so sehen. "Angeben" kann man nur mit etwas, das man wirklich hat und vorzeigen kann. "Prahlen" kann man unter Umständen auch mit etwas völlig unzutreffendem. – PMF Apr 22 '15 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.