I am writing a formal letter in German, and asked myself a question:

Should I repeat prepositions in a series?

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Ihre schnelle Antwort.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und für Ihre schnelle Antwort.

I know English has somewhat loose rules about this, while French is much stricter, but cannot find anything for German.

You can safely leave out preposition and pronoun (or possessive) if both objects agree in gender, number, case and attributes (i.e. adjectives mostly):

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Antwort.

It may still be acceptable to do so if two mismatching genders, numbers or cases share a common inflective morpheme:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Antworten.

You should repeat at least the pronoun if the first object has an attribute but the second has none, because otherwise it will be applied to both:

Vielen Dank für Ihre geschätzte Aufmerksamkeit und [geschätzte] Antwort.

*Vielen Dank für Ihre hohe Aufmerksamkeit und [*hohe] Antwort.

Vielen Dank für Ihre hohe Aufmerksamkeit und (für) Ihre Antwort.

Vielen Dank für Ihre hohe Aufmerksamkeit und schnelle Antwort.

That is why it is sometimes clever to put the one with attribute last, as in your original example:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und schnelle Antwort.

The long form is never wrong, of course:

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und für Ihre (schnelle) Antwort.

You should also repeat pronoun and preposition if the first object has lots of attributes. It can even be useful to repeat more (vielen Dank in this case) or paraphrase it.

Vielen Dank für Ihre (…) Aufmerksamkeit und danke für Ihre (schnelle) Antwort.

Applying redundancy to Aufmerksamkeit and Antwort in particular may still feel wrong, though, because the former is an abstract noun without a plural.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Ihre (schnelle) Antwort.

PS: Misleading and uncommon redundancy has been used for comedic effect frequently. Heinz Erhardt comes to mind.

| improve this answer | |
    Absolutely perfect, with all the example that I needed. Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und Antwort! :) – laureapresa May 2 '15 at 6:05

In this example there is no need for redundancy, and, hence, the first version is better. The second is not wrong, though.

| improve this answer | |
    And you can even say " Vielen Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit und schnelle Antwort." – Gerhard Apr 28 '15 at 19:58
  • Could you give an example where the redundancy would be accepted? – laureapresa Apr 29 '15 at 6:56
  • It is an often used rhetorical device to repeat something. In this situation, there is redundancy, but it has a purpose. – Martin Peters Apr 29 '15 at 9:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.