Can either of the two prepositions be used in this expression without any difference?

„Kommst du mit ins Kino?“ - „Nein, ich muss noch auf/für die Prüfung lernen.“

No, they can not be used without any difference. »Auf« is wrong. To pass the exam is your goal, and learning is the way how you want to reach this goal. So you do the learning for something, not on something.

Correct is:

Ich muss noch für die Prüfung lernen.

'auf' is colloquial. In standard German it is wrong, imo. – TaW May 2 '15 at 17:01
    Kann ich nichts finden, oder sind Amzon Bewertungen jetzt ein Maßstab? Dazu spanische Fahrschulen und wörtliche Rede und so weiter. Naja, im Zweifelsfall mein Sprachgefühl ;-) Und das ist hier sehr deutlich! – TaW May 2 '15 at 22:01
    Ja. Schlechtes Deusch ist weit verbreitet und wird auch jederzeit abgedruckt.. Wenn es im Duden ankommt und daduch sanktioniert wird, kann ich auch nichts mehr ausrichten. Der war aber (noch) nicht dabei, oder..? (Kann aber ja noch kommen; es ist ja die Regel: Wenn genug Leute einen Fehler machen ist es keiner mehr. Es gab mal die Regel: Wer 'brauchen' ohne 'zu' gebraucht, der braucht es gar nicht zu gebrauchen. Passé..) – TaW May 3 '15 at 10:22
    Es sind dieser Beitrag hier und überwiegend nicht deutsche Wörterbucheinträge und Forenbeiträge die bei der Suchanfrage "auf die Prüfung lernen" bei Google ganz oben stehen. Ein Ergebnis lautet "In der eintägigen intensiven Vorbereitung auf die Prüfung lernen die Teilnehmenden den Prüfungsaufbau kennen, [...]" - hier ist die Vorbereitung auf die Prüfung gemeint. Alle anderen Ergebnisse sind umgangssprachlich oder unwissenschaftlich. Die Anfrage "für die Prüfung lernen" ergibt deutlich mehr Treffer, unter anderem Tipps von Bildungseinrichtungen. Imho: "Für die Prüfung lernen" ist richtig. – user22338 Jun 30 '16 at 12:43

I did my own research and came to the conclusion that both für die Prüfung lernen and auf die Prüfung lernen are correct. From what I could infer, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in meaning. The difference seems to be regional.

Two dictionary references and not-to-be-overlooked examples from German books should indicate the legitimate use of "auf". I'll include here some links that were provided in the comments to other answers:

Er hat von früh bis spät auf die Prüfung gelernt. thefreedictionary.com
Ich habe zu viel auf die Prüfung gelernt, ich kann gar nichts mehr aufnehmen. thefreedictionary.com
Er hat Tag und Nacht auf die Prüfung gelernt. Obwohl er sich so gut vorbereitet hat, ist er durchgefallen. canoo.net

Some Google Books search results can be found here.

I read in the comments that it could be a regional thing. So I did some research on local German periodicals. I looked for the phrase "auf die Prüfung lernen" and some of its variations on Google News to see if regional news can give a clue where this expression is more commonly used. Here are my results:

German newspapers:

Bei den Studenten kommt die Aktion gut an. Wirtschaftsstudent Markus Maier nutzt sie, um auf eine Prüfung zu lernen. Reutlinger General-Anzeiger. Tübingen.
Auf die Frage, wie viel sie schon auf die Prüfung gelernt habe, schaut sie sich verstohlen um... Augsburger Allgemeine. Donauwörth.
Doch bevor es soweit war, musste er fleißig auf die Prüfung lernen. Baden Online. Schiltach.
Ich habe ziemlich viel auf die Prüfung gelernt. Fudder Neuigkeiten aus Freiburg. Littenweiler.

Swiss newspapers:

Die Kinder haben zum Teil intensiv auf die Prüfung gelernt. Der Bund.
Sie sind nicht die Einzigen, die auf die Prüfung lernen. Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
Den Ausdruck benutzten wir während des Studiums, wenn wir nicht auf eine Prüfung gelernt hatten. Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
So habe sie zu wenig auf eine Prüfung gelernt. 20 Minuten. Zürich.

It's not proper linguistic research, of course. But this usage seems to be typical of south-west(?) Germany and Switzerland.

Adding on to what has been said in other comments: The more I thought about it, the more likely I feel to have used it (Bavaria). On the other hand, my colleagues from Lower Saxony, North-West of Berlin and rural Westfalia all deemed it definitely wrong and unusual. So it's likely North-South with usage of auf restricted to the South (where für is not considered wrong, however!) – Jan May 8 '15 at 11:52

Besser wäre :

Instead of "besser wäre", you should say "richtig ist". – Em1 May 1 '15 at 12:31
  • @Em1... no he/she shouldn't. google.de/… – Emanuel May 1 '15 at 23:40
    Google is simply bringing up a lot of colloquialisms. You really shouldn't believe everything you find there or in ad texts! One of them can explain the mix-up btw: One common synonym is 'sich auf die Prüfung vorbereiten'. – TaW May 2 '15 at 17:12

For me both versions are correct, but they have a slightly difference.

I have to learn and my goal is the exam. The Knowledge itself seems not to be important. The thinking is: We learn for school, not for life.

This could be the answer for the question: Why do you learn?

Ich muss noch auf die Prüfung lernen.

I have to learn and it must be finished before the exam starts. The thinking is: We learn for life, not for school — the exam is only the test for the Knowledge.

This could be the answer for the question: Why do you learn now?

But in a normal conversation, you would not recognize the difference.

Disclaimer: I’m a native speaker from South-West Germany.

I see only one difference: One ('lernen auf') is wrong/colloquial and one is correct standard German ('lernen für'). No difference in meaning. The contrived difference is nonsense: 'lernen für die Prüfiung' is already opposed to 'lernern fürs Leben' – TaW May 2 '15 at 17:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.