To me, the combination of sehr and wundervoll sounds a bit odd/clumsy and I’m wondering:

• Am I alone?
  • If not, what could be the reason for it being odd?
  • Are there other adjectives that can’t be combined with sehr?
  • By the way: If I would ever feel the need to augment wundervoll, I would use ausgesprochen wundervoll. – Wrzlprmft May 5 '15 at 14:51
    You should also note, that the word "wundervoll" is much rarer used in German Language than the word "wonderful" in an english context. To give your verbal expression a more German sound, better use »großartig«, »herrlich«, »hervorragend« or »traumhaft«. Even »wunderbar« is much better than »wundervoll«. In some phrases even more replacements are possible: »to get away wonderfully« = »glänzend miteinander auskommen«. – Hubert Schölnast May 6 '15 at 0:32
  • No, you are not alone.
  • The word in itself expresses a degree of excitement that cannot be increased further.
  • Many. You find some quickly by browsing the synonyms of wundervoll: ausgezeichnet, einmalig, sensationell, exzellent... Go on with mathematical terms like unendlich, geradzahlig, dreieckig and finally discover the linguistic term Absolutadjektiv.
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.