My German is pretty good but I know very little of the terminology in Quantum Mechanics.

In Quantum Mechanics one often say something like

the momentum operator p acts on the ket |ψ>.

How would you say that in German?

In most cases in physics, act on sth. is translated by auf etw. wirken. So the phrase is:

Der Impulsoperator p wirkt auf das Ket |ψ>.

For example, in this Wikipedia article you can read:

In der Impulsdarstellung wirkt der Impulsoperator multiplikativ auf Impulswellenfunktionen [...].

Another possible construction I can think of is auf etw. angewandt/angewendet werden:

Der Impulsoperator p wird auf das Ket |ψ> angewandt/angewendet.

Yep, same thing for group actions and similar in mathematics. – Carsten S May 10 '15 at 18:44
  • Sometimes also auf den Ket-Vektor. At least, we often said that alongside with das Ket in my QC course. – Jan May 10 '15 at 19:21
    @CarstenSchultz It is actually a group action (by one of the generators of the Poincaré group). But my German is not enough to say that it's because of that, that one uses wirken. – c.p. May 11 '15 at 14:13
  • Oh my, my lack of any Physics knowledge is embarrassing. – Carsten S May 11 '15 at 14:59
  • Act on for group actions is actually auf etwas operieren. I have never heard auf etwas wirken in mathematics. If that's really what they say in physics for a group action, then that would mean that terminology has diverged between the two fields. – user2183 Oct 20 '15 at 22:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.