Do I assume correctly that the translation of

Peter war kurz nach ihrem Zusammentreffen aufgestanden

would be, past-perfect:

'Peter had gotten up shortly after their coming together'

yes, you are correct (although it is a rather strange sentence) – Mawg says reinstate Monica May 11 '15 at 17:54
  • @Mawg... I think Peter wasn't part of the meeting. Then it's less awkward, while still not very elegant. – Emanuel May 11 '15 at 18:01
  • @Mawg Peter was indeed part of the meeting. Where does it get awkward and ? – Wottensprels May 11 '15 at 18:02
    With the "coming together". That is is not a phrase that a native English speaker would use for eine Sitzung, Beschprechung, usw And probably the literal "stood up" (or even "risen"), rather than "gotten up" - but now I am speaking of English usage, not German - sorry – Mawg says reinstate Monica May 11 '15 at 18:27

Yes, it's the past perfect form of aufstehen.

| improve this answer | |

I'm not quite sure about this, but the sentence is indeed a bit weird. I made this answer CW, because I just stated some thoughts here.

"Er war aufgestanden" is either past perfect indicative in active voice but then the sentence actually had to be

Peter war kurz vor ihrem Zusammentreffen aufgestanden.
Peter had stood up shortly before their meeting.

or it is preterite indicative in passive voice which I guess is translated as

Peter was stood up shortly after their meeting.

I'm not a native English speaker but I guess that this translation is not good.
The German sentence is OK because you focus on the result (static passive / Zustandspassiv).

I don't really know how this is appropriately expressed in English. Technically, my translation is not that wrong, compare with

Der Rasen war gemäht.
The lawn was mown.

but still it sounds wrong.

| improve this answer | |
  • Why do you think it has to be "vor", not "nach"? Compare: "In der 10. Minute der Nachspielzeit gelang René Adler der Siegtreffer durch einen direkt verwandelten Eckstoß. Der HSV-Torwart hatte außerdem kurz nach der Halbzeitpause einen Elfmeter gehalten und war damit der Matchwinner für den HSV in seiner 3. Relegation in Folge." (I just figure some sports news of May 2016 ;-) ) – Matthias Jun 14 '15 at 19:43
  • And do you really think that "aufstehen" kann be used in passive voice? – Matthias Jun 14 '15 at 19:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.