The year 1995 is read in English nineteen ninety-five.

This means we read the first two digits as a single number and then the next two digits, with the same rule.

Is this rule true in German?

I mean, should we read it as neunzehn-fünfundneunzig?

What about 2007?

In German generally (i.e. not just in Germany but also in Austria and in Switzerland), years are pronounced like this:

• 1015 (ein)tausendfünfzehn
  • 1115 elfhundertfünfzehn
  • 1215 zwölfhundertfünfzehn
  • 1315 dreizehnhundertfünfzehn
  • 1815 achtzehnhundertfünfzehn
  • 1915 neunzehnhundertfünfzehn
  • 2015 zweitausendfünfzehn
  • 2115 zweitausendeinhundertfünfzehn

Or in words, the numbers are pronounced normally except that from 1100 to 1999, XYAB is pronounced as XY hundert AB.

PS: The English style of pronouncing years is also used occasionally as it is shorter, but it's only borderline correct.

Additionally, following ponounciations are common: 2015: Zwanzigfünfzehn; 1945: Neuzehnfünfundvierzig; generally, its also common to split the number in two numbers and concatenate them, as long as there is no number <10 involved. – rhavin May 16 '15 at 15:03
    2115 zweitausendeinhundertfünfzehn We'll see, we'll see.. – TaW May 17 '15 at 3:30
  • @TaW: I agree this must change as the 22nd century approaches, but as it's quite likely that the English style will become standard way before that point anyway, I chose not to mention the fact. – user2183 May 17 '15 at 8:20
  • Rarely, people say "zwotausendfünfzehn" as well. – ComFreek May 17 '15 at 9:44
  • @ComFreek: this is another story that has nothing to do with this topic. Zwo is actually only used instead of "zwei" on spelling long numbers - just to prevent one gets it wrong with the similarly sounding "drei" – äüö Mar 27 '18 at 7:10

The year 1995 is read neunzehnhundertfünfundneunzig. You might also hear neunzehnfünfundneunzig, but that is more colloquial.

2007 is read as zweitausendsieben, although you sometimes hear zwanzigsieben.

Ich habe kein Problem mit zB zehn-sechzig (1060), und bevorzuge idR neunzehn-zwanzig (1920) statt etwa neunzehn-hundert-zwanzig. Ich halte das keineswegs für umgangssprachlich. – Ingmar May 16 '15 at 6:04
    @Ingmar: Ich höre das nie. Muß also irgendwie geographisch oder anderweitig ungleichmäßig verteilt sein. – chirlu May 16 '15 at 6:29
    @Mr Lister: The usual form for non-year numbers is tausendneunhundertfünfzig. – chirlu May 16 '15 at 10:06
    I've never heard anyone use zwanzigsieben ever. Hearing neunzehnfünfundneunzig is quite rare, usually it's either neunzehnhundertfünfundneunzig or just fünfundneunzig when it's clear from the context which year is meant. – kapex May 16 '15 at 10:54
    yes, but zwanzig-zehn or zwanzig-zwanzig are quite common, the former even idiomatic as in Agenda 2010.. – TaW May 16 '15 at 18:02

The same pattern holds true for all year-numbers between 1100 and 1999. Some examples:

• 1453 "vierzehnhundertdreiundfünfzig",
  • 1500 "fünfzehnhundert",
  • 1806 "achtzehnhundertsechs".

But 378 "dreihundertachtundsiebzig" and 1077 "eintausendsiebenundsiebzig".

2007 would be "zweitausendsieben" and 2018 "zweitausendachtzehn"

That doesn't seem to add anything that isn't already covered in another answer, besides the hyphens, which look odd to me. Or am I missing something? – Robert Feb 28 '18 at 15:17
  • I answered as per the question, I did not check others. – David Mike Mar 2 '18 at 7:53

protected by Community Feb 27 '18 at 7:04

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.