What is the correct translation/specific word for kidding in German in this context?

• "Das ist doch nicht dein Ernst?" – de.pons.com/… – Em1 May 22 '15 at 20:21
    Echt jetzt? Das ist Deine Frage? – Carsten S May 23 '15 at 7:59

My proposal avoids harsh words:

Du nimmst mich wohl auf den Arm?!

“You got to be kidding me!”: “Du machst wohl Scherze!”, or vulgar: “Du willst mich wohl verarschen!” You can translate “kidding” with “Scherz”.

• 'Verarschen' is more of getting pissed off at, right? Scherze is a new word for me. – Venkätesh May 22 '15 at 19:18
  • Yes, it is. But in everyday language (friends, family) we often use it without getting pissed off. “Scherz” is something said or done for amusement, not in seriousness. – ihmels May 22 '15 at 19:56
  • doesn't really work. "you've got to be kidding me" is often used without directly addressing another person to express annoyance or disbelieve at a situation. you wouldn't use "du willst mich wohl verarschen" in that situations. – knrdk Jun 6 '15 at 15:10

Das kann doch nicht wahr sein! (That can't possibly be true!) communicates a level of astonishment that is included in "You've got to be kidding me!"

Verarschen has an implication of making fun of the person. (Making them look like an ass.)

If you look on Leo you will also find "veralbern".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.