I am translating my meatloaf recipe to German and am unsure about translating the meatloaf mixture from the sentence

Transfer the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.

I have: meatloafder Hackbraten and mixturedie Mischung.

I am undecided between:

1. die Hackbratenmischung
  2. die Hackbraten-Mischung
  3. die Hackbraten Mischung
  4. der Hackbraten Mischung

I have already gone through:

I want to go with forms 1 or 2, but I remember seeing forms 3 and 4 somewhere, can’t recall where. Which of the above noun–noun compound word construction(s) are wrong? Please provide the reasons why they are incorrect.

• I’d probably say Masse for mixture here, so Hackbratenmasse or Hackbraten-Masse. – chirlu May 25 '15 at 11:19
    I assume if you'd also found this one, then you would have been able to solve it yourselves. It seems that in none of the previous question all combinations were considered. – Em1 May 26 '15 at 9:21

For the composition rules: 1 and 2 are ok. Case 1 is the normal choice in general, but you would prefer 2 over 1 if it leads to better readability, e.g. in cases of an unusual, unexpected composition. I think you already know this, because you linked to Hyphen for compound nouns: Mathe-Wettbewerb or Mathewettbewerb?, and the answers there explain it quite well.

Case 3 is a common mistake, sometimes called "Deppenleerzeichen". You cannot use the space for word composition in German, although many people (presumably under the influence of the English language) do so.

Case 4 adds the wrong gender to the error in 3.

For the wording in that specific case: don't use Hackbraten, since this would refer to the meal you want to have in the end. As long as it was not yet cooked, you better use Hackfleisch. So it is Hackfleischmischung or even better (thanks @chirlu) Hackfleischmasse.

I found your answer helpful and satisfactory. Thanks for providing the Deppenleerzeichen link. I think I'll go with die Hackfleischmasse. – Barn Monkey May 25 '15 at 12:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.