My German summer read from school includes this sentence:

Wenn ich nach meinem Beruf gefragt werde, werde ich unsicher: Ich werde rot, stammle, ich, der ich sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt bin.

How is "der" being used here? Is it referring to "der Beruf" or something else? When I Google Translated it translated to something like "...who I..." but I don't understand why an article can have that meaning.

Can the other articles be used this way?

It is not an article here. Der can also be a demonstrative or relative pronoun, and in this example der ich is the somewhat rare case of a first-person relative pronoun.

Here is a full table of male relative pronouns in all persons and numbers:

ich, der ich sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt bin
du, der du sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt bist
er, der sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt ist
wir, die wir sonst als sichere Menschen bekannt sind
ihr, die ihr sonst als sichere Menschen bekannt seid
sie, die sonst als sichere Menschen bekannt sind

Everything except for the third person is quite rare and feels somewhat awkward, but the other option (namely, talking about oneself in the third person: ich, der als sicherer Mensch bekannt ist) is awkward, too.

Sometimes, you will find the third-person relative pronoun extended with a personal pronoun in a similar way:

er, der er sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt ist

• Just to add: usually, "der" can be replaced by "welcher" in where cases - which is closer to the English "who", if that is of any help...
    – Gerhard
    Jun 1 '15 at 5:46
    I don't agree in one point. "ich, der sonst als..." is not awkward at all and quite common, too.
    – Em1
    Jun 1 '15 at 7:47
  • @Gerhard... "ich, welcher (ich) sonst", "du, welcher (du) sonst"? That doesn't sound very idiomatic to me.
    – Emanuel
    Jun 1 '15 at 11:43
  • Always fascinating differences. :-) Regarding welcher, I'd say it is certainly possible, but obsolescent as a relative pronoun.
    – chirlu
    Jun 1 '15 at 12:02
    @guidot: Ja, genau. Ich sage oben ausdrücklich, daß ich a full table of male relative pronouns gebe.
    – chirlu
    Jun 2 '15 at 7:56

Perhaps it is easier to understand if you insert "ein Mensch": ... ich, ein Mensch, der sonst als ein sicherer Mensch bekannt ist. "der" is here a relative pronoun as already said above.

• That does help with understanding, thank you!
    – Alex D
    Jun 3 '15 at 17:01
  • @AlexD - When an answer is helpful you can show this by clicking on the arrow head to the left of the post.
    – rogermue
    Jun 3 '15 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.