I was reading a famous news site online and came across this

Neue schwere Vorwürfe gegen FIFA-Spitze

Spitze has many translations. Based on context I assume it to be "top" which makes me wonder... does the term imply one (the very top) or several persons?

• Do they? I feel that one meaning of one of the words fits the context perfectly. – Jan Jun 2 '15 at 14:17
  • @jan I guess is top, right? – Weapon X Jun 2 '15 at 14:19
  • Top or peak, yes. – Jan Jun 2 '15 at 14:20
  • @Jan should i delete the question? – Weapon X Jun 2 '15 at 14:22
  • We can just close it; it’ll get deleted eventually. Unless you really want to delete it immediately ;) – Jan Jun 2 '15 at 14:32

When refering to Spitze of an organisation, it's not clear whether it's one person or a group of persons but in all cases, it's the person/group who/which is leading the organisation, the top or head of it.

• True about the ambiguity in principle, although in a concrete situation it's almost always several people because if it's only one it's much more more common to say Chef or use the specific word for the person's role (typially Präsident or Vorsitzender). – Hans Adler Jun 5 '15 at 12:06

FIFA-Spitze could be translated as FIFA leadership.

Spitze ist hier eine Metapher, also ein bildhafter Ersatzausdruck, für den Präsidenten, also Fifa-Präsident Blatter. Vergleich mit einem Berg. Blatter ist die Spitze der Organisation.

The same like the english FiFA-Top, Spitze = Top

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.