I was making fun of someone's funny picture, and as response got a comment of

Willst du was aussetzen?

The two meanings of the verb are suspend, and expose.

Am I right in interpreting the comment as

do you want to remark on something (in specific)?

Somehow I can not get the feeling of the usage of the verb in this case.

Rather "criticise" (in a negative way) in this context... – Gerhard Jun 12 '15 at 21:04
    Note that the sentence as cited is wrong (probably due to a misunderstanding or misremembering). Aussetzen in this meaning needs an an (e.g. Willst du was daran aussetzen?), and even then it would be unusual; it is normally only used in the phrase etw. an etw. auszusetzen haben, as in the example in @Jan's answer. (Perhaps he can expand his answer a bit regarding this aspect.) – chirlu Jun 13 '15 at 7:17
    "Hast du was auszusetzen?" was the literal comment. – Keine Jun 13 '15 at 7:19
  • Feel free to edit the literal comment in instead of the willst du … version ;) You know where the edit button is, don't you? (Underneath the tags on the left) – Jan Jun 13 '15 at 12:45

The word has multiple meanings, two of which you have covered with your translations.

• to miss a turn

Wer eine 1 würfelt, muss eine Runde aussetzen.

• to suspend, discontinue something

Das Gericht setzte den Beschluss aus.

• to expose

Der Einsiedler stieg aus seinem Erdloch und setzte sich dem Wetter aus.

• to set free

Der Hund wurde an der Raststätte ausgesetzt – im Hotel war kein Platz für ihn.
    Seit wir Fische im Teich ausgesetzt haben, ist das Algenwachstum stark zurückgegangen.

• and finally: to (negatively) criticise something

Ich habe an deinem Bild auszusetzen, dass es lächerlich wirkt.

Most of the connotations this word implies are negative; in fact, only the fish-sentence can be understood in a positive way. I’m pretty sure that most of the meanings derived from somehow sitting something out or making something sit outside; it is now a rather widespread verb that can carry dozens of subtle meanings in context.

Note that etwas an etwas aussetzen usually requires a complement with the particle an — not present in the OP’s quote. However, I have heard the occasional German omit that complement if both parties were absolutely sure about the object that was being criticised. Omitting daran is not formally correct, though.

I believe criticize is too neutral in English (not equivalent to German kritisieren). Additionally, if I habe etwas auszusetzen, I do not necessarily say so. Dictionaries suggest find fault with sth. – chirlu Jun 13 '15 at 7:47
  • Arguably, the first two meanings are actually the very same meaning in different contexts. – O. R. Mapper Jun 13 '15 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.