This question also has an answer here (in German):
Präpositionen bei Städten, Regionen, Ländern, Staaten und Inseln

I have to ask for a bus-ticket to the place I work. So I always say to the bus driver:

Einmal bis zu Tübingen bitte

Is this right or should I use nach instead?

Slightly off-topic, but if you ask that every day, and while it may be good practice... just buy a monthly ticket and save a lot of cash :D – simbabque Jun 15 '15 at 7:51
    haha es lohnt sich nicht!! :-D – Vassilis De Jun 15 '15 at 10:51
    Living 50km away from Tübingen, I would suggest to use Schwäbisch: "Oimal nach Tübinga". – Uwe Keim Jun 15 '15 at 14:06
  • You can also use the polite way and say: > Ich möchte einen Fahrschein nach Tübingen lösen. – Snickbrack Jun 16 '15 at 12:44
  • @Snickbrack: Das würde nicht als höflich, sondern als gestelzt aufgefasst werden, beliebt mir zu vermuten. "Einmal Tübingen" oder nur "Tübingen" dürfte eine häufige Ausdrucksweise sein, "Einmal Tübingen, bitte" oder "Tübingen bitte" als höfliche Variante. – user unknown Aug 2 '19 at 11:01

No, this isn't right.

Einmal nach Tübingen, bitte.

would be fine. You can think of it as a short form of

Einen Fahrschein für die Fahrt nach Tübingen, bitte.

But you could also say

Einmal bis Tübingen, bitte.

which would be short for

Bitte ein Ticket, das bis Tübingen gültig ist.

| improve this answer | |
    Uhm... how do you know that "Einmal bis Tübingen" is short for your last example? Could be plenty of other things and to me, the version you gave is not the most likely one. – Emanuel Jun 15 '15 at 10:50
    @Emanuel I meant it is a mnemonic or a way of how to make sense of it. I'm sure there would be alternative phrasings, but I'd expect them to be essentially equivalent. If you have a counter example: I'm curious. – Matthias Jun 15 '15 at 11:01
  • Since it’s Germany, a „Tübingen“ without any extra words is likely the most commonly used phrase. Together with having the exact required amount of money ready, it might be even regarded as being polite… – Holger Jun 15 '15 at 14:24
  • @Emanuel - you're probably standing in the bus, talking to the driver. He's going to understand the short-form request ;-) There is virtually no room for misunderstanding here. – paul Jun 16 '15 at 5:17
  • I would just say "Einmal Tübingen bitte". Or "Einmal Tübingen und zurück" if you want a return. You don't need to add extra words, the ticket seller is in a hurry and so are you, and you may not understand each other 100%. – RedSonja Jun 16 '15 at 7:56

Zu cannot be used with towns and cities. It can only be used with

• buildings

Zum Rathaus
    Zum Hauptbahnhof

• squares and streets

Zum Berliner Platz
    Zur Friedrich-Wilhelm-Straße

To reference countries, towns, even boroughs or suburbs — in short, any political entity — you need to use nach

Nach Tübingen
Nach Berlin-Spandau
Nach Dänemark
Nach Bayern
Nach Skandinavien

And finally, in the case of geographic entities — and some countries — you would need to use in:

In den Harz
In die Mongolei.

No matter which preposition the location requires, adding a bis before it, is okay, but usually not required.

Einmal nach Tübingen bitte.
Einmal bis nach Tübingen bitte.

And, fun fact: if you use a bis, the nach isn’t required any more, either.

Einmal bis Tübingen bitte.

Whether one prefers einmal nach Tübingen or einmal bis Tübingen is personal style. I prefer nach, others will choose bis.

• Naja, richtig, aber zu 80% am Thema vorbei... – Robert Jun 14 '15 at 23:30
    @Robert ‘Is this right, or should I use zu instead?’ ‘Zu cannot be used with towns and cities’ – alles weitere ist Erklärung und Erläuterung warum zu mit Städten nicht geht. – Jan Jun 14 '15 at 23:32
  • Ja, schon richtig, aber es geht um eine Busfahrkarte. (In die Mongolei?) – Robert Jun 14 '15 at 23:33
    @Robert Nuja, wenn es nur um Busfahrkarten geht, wäre die Antwort meines Erachtens zu eng gestrickt – vielleicht will er irgendwann einen Flug wo auch immer hin buchen … und aus Russland und China fahren durchaus Busse in die Mongolei (wobei da wahrscheinlich an Bord leider kein Deutsch gesprochen wird ;) ). – Jan Jun 14 '15 at 23:35
  • Schon ok... ich sag ja nur, dass ich die Antwort zu ausführlich finde, aber schlecht im Sinne von Abwertung ist sie nicht. :-) – Robert Jun 15 '15 at 2:21

Most common, the others sound weird:

Einmal bis Tübingen, bitte.

I disagree. »Einmal nach Tübigen« is at least as common. None of the options that aren’t wrong really sound weird. – Jan Jun 14 '15 at 23:02

You could also use (very common in Austria)

Nach Tübingen, bitte

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.