As I see, when using a verb compound, the helping verb should always be placed in the second position of the sentence while the non-finite verb form (or the main/second verb) usually at the end, but sometimes at the beginning.

My question is could the second verb also be placed in positions other than at the beginning or the end of the sentence? (e.g the second last position? )

Solche Anwohnerbiotope, Schmelztiegel unterschiedlichster Daseinsentwürfe, werden allerorten ersetzt durch Kettenprodukte.

In this example "ersetzt" goes neither at the end nor the beginning of the sentence.

The standard order would indeed be werden allerorten durch Kettenprodukte ersetzt, with ersetzt in the final position; but parts of the sentence may be moved behind it. See the Basel question.
    – chirlu
    Commented Jun 15, 2015 at 19:52
    It's possible, as you can see from the suggested duplicate question or this background information (in German).
    – Matthias
    Commented Jun 15, 2015 at 19:57
    The explanation linked to by @Matthias is also available in English (like all Canoo.net content, just click on the Union Jack at the top of each page): canoo.net/services/OnlineGrammar/Satz/Wortstellung/…
    – chirlu
    Commented Jun 15, 2015 at 20:09
  • @chirlu Thank you, I never noticed it. Heres the deep link to the section that applies to both this question and the duplicate: canoo.net/services/OnlineGrammar/Satz/Wortstellung/…
    – Matthias
    Commented Jun 15, 2015 at 20:17

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.