I am confused between in ATM or zum ATM when I want to say that I am going to the ATM.

It might help if tell us what you mean with "ATM". Is it the physical unit to measure air pressure? Is it Adobe Type Manager, or Asynchronous Transfer Mode? There is even a sexual practice that is abbreviated as ATM. – Hubert Schölnast Jun 19 '15 at 5:35
    From the context it seems clear to me that he's referring to what we Austrians call Bankomat (and the Germans Geldausgabeautomat, I suppose). – Ingmar Jun 19 '15 at 5:46
    Your question makes no sense, because “zum” is German, and ”ATM” is American, so “zum ATM” is not an expression in any language to begin with. – Carsten S Jun 19 '15 at 8:49
    Why on earth would you use "in"? It's not "in" in English and in any other language I know. Trust your common sense more. – Emanuel Jun 19 '15 at 10:48

Definitely zum, but of course you must translate ATM as well.

Ich gehe zum Geldautomaten.

• I would definitely use the uninflected Geldautomat in colloquial speech. YMMV. – Ingmar Jun 19 '15 at 9:25
    You are not the only one to do so, but even in colloquial speech I prefer "Geldautomaten", too. Additionally "zum" stands for "zu dem" and since the article is already inflected, you should inflect the noun, too, shouldn't you? YMMV, but uninflected it is just wrong. – Daniel Jun 19 '15 at 12:58
  • Well, it's definitely on its way out, at least in Austria. The way we don't use -e in dative anymore (dem Volke, e.g.) -en will be gone within a generation or so as well. – Ingmar Jun 19 '15 at 13:41
    You make me weep. I like, almost love, that German can be used so precisely and you give such a foretelling.... :-( I know you are right generally. We do simplify the use where we can, if we want to or not. Especially influenced by English. IMHO – Daniel Jun 19 '15 at 13:44
  • @Daniel in what way does omitting the -en makes German less precise? – clinch Jun 19 '15 at 15:34

Or "an den" - "Ich gehe an den Geldautomaten, um Geld abzuheben" = "I´m going to the ATM to get money"

• Warum zum ??? I m going to ATM machine for money in this case action is going on so for action we use akusative case then how we can use zum – Mona Dh Jun 19 '15 at 7:42
  • Zum is the way you use it in everyday language. But I think the way i wrote it is the right way you would write it. – npit Jun 19 '15 at 7:50
    @MonaDh: The preposition "zu" requires dative case. – elena Jun 19 '15 at 7:53
  • @MonaDh Die Frage nach dem Ort ist, wohin gehst Du? nicht jedoch, Wen oder Was gehst Du? Wen oder was wäre die Frage nach dem Akkusativ Objekt. Hier muss eine Adverbiale Bestimmung des Ortes (Richtung) benutzt werden. "... an den Geldautomaten" ist also auch kein Akkusativ sondern mit "an" gebildet, was den Akkusativ fordert, "zu" jedoch fordert den Dativ, wie npit schon kommentierte. Die Fragen wären, "An wen/was gehst Du? oder "Zu wem gehst Du?". Wie gesagt beides Fragen nach der Richtung, also adverbiale Bestimmung. – Daniel Jun 19 '15 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.