I've tried google and bing translate as well as asking my uncle (a native German speaker, born in Germany). None have a translation, my uncle's response was

the word Bemerfungen has me stumped. It is perhaps an old german word no longer used today

So what does Bemerfungen mean? The specific context for the word is a column heading on an old church record. The column I need translated is the last column in the image.

Image of document

1 Answer 1


You misread a k for an f. The correct spelling is Bemerkungen: Nachträgliche Bemerkungen = subsequent remarks.

It is written correctly in the form. The Fraktur glyph for the letter k looks similar to a modern f:

enter image description here

See: Fraktur in Wikipedia

  • 6
    The image has an f in Taufpathen (modern spelling: Taufpaten), for comparison. Unlike f, the k has no descender, and they look different at the top.
    – chirlu
    Jun 24, 2015 at 4:28
  • 1
    Here is a good chart showing individual letters: library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/fraktur.htm
    – Ingmar
    Jun 24, 2015 at 5:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.