I would like to know how Germans differentiate between wägen and wiegen. When it comes to past participle both changes to gewogen (of course, the simple past is also wog)

Do Germans just know them by context?

It is not entirely uncommon to inflect wägen like a regular verb (Duden), i.e.:

wägen, wägte, gewägt

This allows for a differentiation to both verbs wiegen, which can only be inflected as follows:

in the sense of to weigh: wiegen, wog, gewogen, wöge

in the sense of to sway or to rock: wiegen, wiegte, gewiegt

| improve this answer | |

Yes, it would be mostly context. The same thing is true for pairs like du liest and du ließt – although those two are different tenses.

It helps that wägen is usually used as abwägen or erwägen, however abwiegen also exists … So we’re almost back to the context argument.

| improve this answer | |
  • Someone give me a better pair that is escaping me atm and I'll replace lesen/lassen. – Jan Jun 25 '15 at 10:08
  • erschrecken. _ – Wrzlprmft Jun 25 '15 at 10:48
  • @Wrzlprmft And what would be the other half of the pair erschrecken forms? – Jan Jun 25 '15 at 11:10
  • erschrecken itself. It can mean to frighten as well as to get frightened: »Er erschrak, als es knallte.«; »Der Knall erschrak ihn.« – Wrzlprmft Jun 25 '15 at 15:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.