I have several documents that I need transcribed from Kurrentschrift into modern German script (really just a text file, notepad would be perfect). Some examples of the documents I'm looking to have transcribed are below.

I'm not necessarily looking for a free service, though that would be nice. I'm just looking for an accurate transcription. I've got 50 or so documents that I need transcribed but not sure where to turn to.

example document 1 example document 2 example document 3

  • I don't know of any professional service, but I personally know an older person with very good knowledge of Kurrentschrift who has done this before, and who would probably like to do it for a small consideration.
    – Matt L.
    Jun 27, 2015 at 7:05
  • 2
    Homes for the elderly sometimes organize events where residents (who can read Kurrent from their youth) help folks to read old documents. This, of course, is only an option if you live somewhere in a German-speaking country or at a place that many Germans emigrated to.
    – chirlu
    Jun 27, 2015 at 7:15
  • 2
    Sorry for being pedantic about the title of your question, but, AFAIK, Kurrent is a Latin script. Jun 27, 2015 at 22:34

1 Answer 1


There are several options:

  • Ask an American professional genealogist with a German genealogy focus (search the directory of the Association of Professional Genealogists (APG) for German American specialists) or a German professional genealogist (list).
  • Ask a non primarily genealogy related service like Altdeutsche Schreibstube, Alphatrad, Czau or Recherche-Dienste for their estimates of cost. A Google search for kurrent transkription will show much more services.
  • Ask a voluntary service like those operating often from old people's homes (see a list at Sütterlinstube). You could send them prints or they might even accept digital files. This is as far as I know free of charge, but a donation is appropriate.
  • Upload your documents - one document a time - to the Lesehilfe (reading help) section of a forum like Ahnenforschung.net or Genealogy.net (free of charge).

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the commercial services.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.