To translate at home as in the simple ‘I’m at home’, which of the above is correct? Daheim, Zuhause or zu Hause?

Also, what is the difference between Zuhause and zu Hause?

I’m at home.
Ich bin daheim.
Ich bin zuhause. [Attention, lowercase z]
Ich bin zu Hause.

All four sentences have the same meaning.

The word Zuhause (uppercase this time) can refer to one’s home (house/flat/whatever) as a noun, but that’s unusual for everyday language.

• Even tha basic meaning is the same, there are lsightly differences: daheim would be more casual as well as the form used e.g. in Bavaria. Whereas zuhause sein, at least IMHO, is a little more formal (maybe due to the Bavarian fact) – frlan Jun 28 '15 at 10:20
  • @frlan, „zu Hause“ is not in itself more formal. As you yourself indicate you perceive it as more formal if „daheim“ is (similar to) the expression used in your local dialect. – Carsten S Jun 28 '15 at 12:26

The difference between daheim and zuhause is a regional one. In the South (Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg), it is more common to say daheim (or dahoam) — Bavaria even has a daily soap on regional TV called Dahoam is dahoam.

In the North, it is more common to say zuhause or zu Hause.

All forms are valid in written texts.

• Thanks Jan. Do you know anything about swiss versions? – cheznead Jun 28 '15 at 11:20
    @shinninja: Daheim is common in Switzerland and Austria, too, as well as in the southern part of Germany. – chirlu Jun 29 '15 at 5:56

"Ich bin zu Hause" is the most standard version, IMHO.

"Ich bin zuhause" is most likely the reformed spelling, which introduced "athome" as an adjective - it looks just wrong to me.

"daheim" is a Southern variant and definitely unusual in the Northern part of Germany (I'm from Berlin). Even though everyone would understand it, you'd think the text was written by someone from Bavaria or so. A Thuringian friend of mine says "daheeme", so I don't know how far you'd count the "South"...

• it looks just wrong to me ... but Duden and anything else tell that it is correct too. – deviantfan Jun 28 '15 at 14:50
  • Yes, like I said, it's the reformed spelling. In 1996 or so, there was a spelling reform and some bureaucrats declared completely strange spellings the norm, allegedly to make spelling more logical and thus easier to learn for people with an immigration background. However, all that did was create confusion, there was a huge outrage, and as a compromise with many terms both the old and new version are correct to use. So yes, you it would be correct to write "Ich bin zuhause", but for decades the correct spelling used to be "zu Hause" exclusively. – TravelingFox Jun 28 '15 at 14:52
    @Marvin: One shouldn't blame every 'odd' spelling to the spelling reform. :) I don't have a very authoritative source, but a Google Ngram here clearly suggests that "zuhause" is a common variant for over a hundred years (though indeed less common than "zu Hause"). – Emil Jun 28 '15 at 21:38
  • @Emil: Before 1996, zuhause was a common variant spelling in Austria and Switzerland. It was the reformed orthography that made it an official spelling in Germany, too (but continued to allow zu Hause). – chirlu Jun 29 '15 at 6:01

originally, "zuhause" was "wherever you live at the moment" (e.g. Ich war am Strand als mir einfiel, dass ich die Sonnencreme zuhause im Hotel vergessen hatte), wheras the word "daheim" meant "the place that is the emotional center of your life")

There's also a proverb "zuhause aber nicht daheim" that is often used to describe the situation of immigrants who don't feel welcome.

In today's everyday German however, it has become a regional thing. People from Bavaria, Baden Würtemberg, Rhineland-Palatine and the southern parts of Hesse and Thuringia will never use the word "zuhause" no matter the context, wheras people from the north will always use "zuhause".

Hast Du eine Quelle für den ersten Absatz? – Carsten S Sep 6 '15 at 22:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.