Possible Duplicate:
Beugt man jemand oder niemand mit Endung?

The declension of indefinitve pronouns "jemand" or "niemand" seems not to follow strict rules. I can read all of the following:

Er hat mit jemandem gesprochen - Er hat mit jemand gesprochen
Sie hat niemanden gesehen - Sie hat niemand gesehen
Das ist niemandes Schuld - Das ist niemands Schuld

From this question I learned that not declining may be historically correct. Duden allows both variants not giving any help on what to prefer.

From a Google Ngram we see, that declined variants are increasingly used:

enter image description here

Answers here express that declension is felt to be appropriate in a written text. Are there still situations where using the non-declined forms are preferable?

• Das hat mir wieder mal niemand gesagt - war aber eigentlich klar, dass es diese Frage schon geben muss.
    – Takkat
    Sep 7, 2011 at 8:08
  • Eigentlich soll Herr StackExchange-Engine bereits nach dem Eingeben des Titels verwandte Fragen anzeigen, was meistens ganz gut klappt (weshalb ich es auf SO mitunter als Alternative zur Suche einsetze). Aber es funktioniert leider nicht immer so gut ;) Sep 7, 2011 at 8:09
  • Vielleicht weil eine Frage auf Deutsch, die andere auf Englisch gestellt wurde?
    – Takkat
    Sep 7, 2011 at 8:11
  • Ich habe auch den Verdacht, dass die Engine da etwas durcheinander kommt und die falschen Schwerpunkte setzt, andererseits hast du die wesentlichen Schlagworte (jemand/niemand) im Titel verwendet. Sollte funktionieren. Vielleicht ein Bug? Die SOStacked-App hat übrigens gerade einen Fix für Sonderzeichen bekommen, damit sie auch mit GL&U funktioniert, nur zwei oder drei Wochen nach meinem Bugreport :) Sep 7, 2011 at 8:20

2 Answers 2

Nice point! In fact, both variants seem to be valid (see <1>, <2>, <3> and <4>), but the only explanation given is (as Hackworth pointed out already) that dropping the suffix is common in colloquial language.

EDIT: i think it's better to reduce the answer to the statement that both variants are orthographically valid; for deeper discussions, see this question and following comments and responses.

• +1 nice references - thank you.
    – Takkat
    Sep 7, 2011 at 8:02
    As Hackworth's answer, not true. The suffix was added in colloquial language, and it is common for written language to use the form without suffix (see any book, for example). Sep 7, 2011 at 8:06
    hmm - really interesting! Here's an interesting google ngram chart regarding this question - so, without doubt, in the year 2300 jemand and jemanden will surely be on the same level ;-)
    – tohuwawohu
    Sep 7, 2011 at 8:18
  • @tohuwawohu: Yes, though don't forget that "jemand" competes with "jemanden" and "jemandem" in this chart ;) I like the suffixed forms much better, I hope they'll become the right form :D Sep 7, 2011 at 8:22

Jemand/Niemand for Akkusativ or Dativ is at best colloquial; you should not use it in written language.

Niemandes/Jemandes is the correct form to be used as a Genitiv; Niemands/Jemands is again colloquial. It is worth noting that the Genitiv form is rare nowadays. Most people seem to prefer rewording such a sentence to avoid the Genitiv, such as "Daran hat jemand/niemand Schuld"

• Duden allows both variants without stating that the non-declined forms are colloquial.
    – Takkat
    Sep 7, 2011 at 7:59
    This is not true; Jemand/Niemand for Akkusativ/Dativ is the correct written form. See my linked question for details, and see Belles Lettres for an absurdly detailed explanation ("Die gebeugten Formen sind ganz junge Neuerungen der Umgangssprache.") Sep 7, 2011 at 8:04
  • Note that I prefer the suffixed form - I was quite surprised when I found out (here at GL&U (; ) that it is not the better ("gehobenere") form. Sep 7, 2011 at 8:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.