I have a new puppy that I am registering and want to make sure that I use the proper word for the title "Lady" (noble).

For example: Lady Cassiopeia of Kimbertal

I am not sure if it should be one of the following or something completely different:

  • Dame Cassiopeia von Kimbertal
  • Herrin Cassiopeia von Kimbertal

I have also seen the word Adlige used but I am not sure that it is used as a title.


1 Answer 1


Neither »Dame« nor »Herrin« are aristocratic titles.

In German the word »Herrin« often is used as a synonym for »Domina« (dominatrix or mistress in the sexual-fetish sense of the word).

The word »Dame« can only be used like the English word »woman«. It is just a nobler version of »Frau«.

If you want to choose a german noble rank, you might find one here: Adelstitel in Wikipedia. For a female dog I would suggest:

  • Gräfin (engl.: countess)
  • Freifrau (engl.: baroness)
  • Baronin (engl.: baroness)
  • Fürstin (engl.: princess)
  • Prinzessin (engl.: princess)
  • Edle von (engl.: noble of)
  • Frau von (engl.: lady)

But it might also be interesting for you, that in German spoken countries many female dogs are named:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.