I can't find many verbs in the German-English dictionary.

The word used was erfolgte and I've been looking for erfolgen in the dictionary, but it is not there. I doubt that it's the dictionary, but is it the right word to look up?

I'm having trouble finding verbs in general.

closed as off-topic by jera, Hubert Schölnast, boaten, tofro, Chieron Mar 24 '16 at 14:43

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace dictionaries, grammar books or similar. If you have already consulted such general references and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – jera, Hubert Schölnast, boaten, tofro, Chieron
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

erfolgen = to happen, to occur

see this dictionary http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?service=deen&opterrors=0&optpro=0&query=erfolgen&iservice=

Maybe your dictionary lists erfolgen as a sub-entry of folgen? If this is the way your dictionary is structured, canoo.net/wordformation could help you to identify the word stems you need to look up in your dictionary.

Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site. Personally, I would doubt that erfolgen and folgen share a dictionary entry anywhere but never say never … – Jan Feb 12 '16 at 0:18
  • @Jan Yes, it's very unlikely, but not impossible :) Thanks for the edit! – Arsak Feb 12 '16 at 0:20
  • German (and Yiddish) dictionairies drive me crazy because the same verb is in 10 different places depending on the prefix. So when I published a transcription of a Yiddish memoir ten years ago, I organized the glossary the way I thought it should be...one root vert, with all the prefixes as sub-entries under the root. Sure enough, DERFOLG (all German er- words appear as der- words in Yiddish) is a sub-entry under FOLGEN. You can see my glossary at this link...it includes the last chapter of the memoir, plus the glossary. Here is the pdf link: onforeignsoil.com/pdf/Glossary.pdf – Marty Green Mar 24 '16 at 3:11
  • @Marty Green wow, what an effort. Thanks for sharing. I guess, a dictionary like that works well, if you recognise the root. It would be quite painful for a new learner :) – Arsak Mar 24 '16 at 7:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.