When asking 'Which one?' in German should I use

Welches?

Or should I ask

Welches mann?

Thank you!

closed as off-topic by chirlu, Hubert Schölnast, Wrzlprmft, Em1, Burki Jul 13 '15 at 8:55

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Why do you believe either one would be correct? Also, the answer depends on context. – chirlu Jul 13 '15 at 4:33
    Welcome to the site! Would you care to tell us your native language? Did you check a dictionary (which we kind of expect because we're no translation service) and what did you find? Problem is, that in German there is not one translation for" wich one" because German has three genders and we need context for an exact answer - or someone has to type a really extensive reply to cover all cases and eventualities. – Stephie Jul 13 '15 at 6:12
    Three genders and 4 cases. Hence there's at least 3 times 4 solutions at this time. Please add some context to your question, such as if it is part of a bigger sentence/text and what your aim is – dot_Sp0T Jul 13 '15 at 7:12
    I really wonder how you came up with "Welches mann?". Whichever dictionary you're using, throw it away! – Em1 Jul 13 '15 at 7:34
    @Em1, I suppose that the translation of “one” as “man” has something to do with it. – Carsten S Jul 13 '15 at 8:11

Depending on the gender of the noun you refer to it can be welcher/welche/welches.

• Or welchen/welche/welches or... - see dot_Sp0T's comment above. – Stephie Jul 13 '15 at 8:35

As the others said: We have three genders and four cases. So the ending of the word depends on the context. Welches might be the correct one for you. Welches mann is wrong in any case.

So these are examples for you:

Männlich

Nominativ

Welcher Mann hat dich angesehen? (Which man looked at you?)

Genitiv

Dem Blick welchen Mannes warst du ausgesetzt? (Whose mans look have you been exposed to?)

Dativ

Welchem Mann hast du einen Blick zugeworfen? (Which man did you dart a look at?)

Akkusativ

Welchen Mann hast du angesehen? (Which man did you look at?)

Weiblich

Nominativ

Welche Frau hat dich angesehen? (Which woman looked at you?)

Genitiv

Dem Blick welcher Frau warst du ausgesetzt? (Whose womans look have you been exposed to?)

Dativ

Welcher Frau hast du einen Blick zugeworfen? (Which woman did you dart a look at?)

Akkusativ

Welche Frau hast du angesehen? (Which woman did you look at?)

Neutral

Nominativ

Welches Kind hat dich angesehen? (Which child looked at you?)

Genitiv

Dem Blick welchen Kindes warst du ausgesetzt? (Whose childs look have you been exposed to?)

Dativ

Welchem Kind hast du einen Blick zugeworfen? (Which child did you dart a look at?)

Akkusativ

Welches Kind hast du angesehen? (Which child did you look at?)

So according to what you want to ask, your Which one can be translated to Welcher, Welchem, Welchen, Welche or Welches. For example if someone tells you "Ich habe eine Frau angesehen", you would ask "Welche?". But if someone tells you "Ich habe ein Auto gefahren" you would ask "Welches?".

It took me a while to find sentences in the genitive form. You can't ask "Which one?" for them. If someone tells you "Ich war dem Blick eines Mannes ausgesetzt?" you will ask "Wessen?" (or you make it easier for you and say "Wer hat dich angeguckt?)

• You have answered the wrong question. What about the “one”? – Carsten S Jul 13 '15 at 8:08
    There is no word you append to "Welche/r/s/m" when you are asking "Which one?". Nobody would say "Welcher einer" or something like that. – Dorian Jul 13 '15 at 8:15
  • And that was the question, as I understand it. Although I now see that you last sentence addresses it. – Carsten S Jul 13 '15 at 8:19
  • But your genitive case examples do not really fit in. – Carsten S Jul 13 '15 at 8:20
    On a bit more serious note: A reference to a table would have been sufficient enough anyway. For example: de.wiktionary.org/wiki/welcher – Em1 Jul 13 '15 at 8:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.