The literal translation appears to be "Ich lerne Deutsch in meiner Freizeit".

Is this a natural sentence in German?

closed as off-topic by Em1, boaten, c.p., Jan, fifaltra Jul 16 '15 at 8:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – Em1, boaten, c.p., Jan, fifaltra
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Your sentence is just fine. But maybe you could let us know where your doubts come from, to allow for better answers? – Burki Jul 15 '15 at 12:17

The sentence you gave is perfectly fine. In most cases

In meiner Freizeit lerne ich Deutsch.

would be more idiomatic. But I can imagine cases where the sentence you gave would be preferred over the latter sentence. Consider this:

Ich lerne Deutsch in meiner Freizeit, Russisch aber im Dienst - und zwar im Rahmen meines Aufbaustudiums.

In the same context there are several options. The same person could say - and may prefer:

Deutsch lerne ich in meiner Freizeit, Russisch aber im Dienst - und zwar im Rahmen meines Aufbaustudiums.

Your translation is perfect. It is one of the possibilities German native speakers would use:

Ich lerne Deutsch in meiner Freizeit.
Ich lerne in meiner Freizeit Deutsch.

All three are good style and sound normal. None of the three is better or worse than the others.

The following sentence is also possible (since it is a correct German sentence):

Deutsch lerne ich in meiner Freizeit.

But you better should use one of the former three sentences. German is very tolerant to word-order, so the last version is grammatically correct, but it is rarely used and sounds a little bit strange.

• Agreed. But I would argue that the most neutral is “Ich lerne in meiner Freizeit Deutsch”. – Carsten S Jul 15 '15 at 22:56

In German one would say:

This answer is misleading. It suggests that the sentence the OP was inquiring about was wrong, which it is not. – Burki Jul 15 '15 at 12:16
  • The OP asked if this is a natural sentence in German. In my opinion this is not a natural sentence in German. – aGer Jul 15 '15 at 12:30
    Why not? It could not sound more natural to me. There may be differences in stress, with the OPs version stresses the spare time, and yours stresses the language learning, but since his exact intentions are currently unclear, i fail to see anything unnatural. – Burki Jul 15 '15 at 12:31
    Welcome and thank you for joining. I think giving the OP a little more information about different stresses would have helped. At the same time I note that the OP gave no information, as to how his doubts arose. That leaves us to guess - or to prefer short answers, as you did. – Ludi Jul 15 '15 at 13:00
    @aGer: When asked: "Lernst du Deutsch in der Schule?", the answer "In meiner Freizeit lerne ich Deutsch." would be utterly unnatural, while what the OP wrote would sound absolutely fitting. – O. R. Mapper Jul 15 '15 at 13:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.