Is "Vgl." (with a lower case L) or "VgI." (with an upper case i) a standard abbreviation used in footnotes and/or references/biblography of German academic publications, or is this simply an abbreviation for a name?

The paper I am reading is from 1916 or so, so whatever this is might have gone out of fashion. I am also unsure, due to the print quality, if it is a lower case L or an upper case i following Vg.

The full sentence (assuming lower case L) is:

Vgl. etwa E. Czuber, Geometrische Wahrscheinlichkeiten und Mittelwerte, Leipzig 1884, S. 197.

  • 6
    Vgl. -> vergleiche (compare). Not out of fashion at all, still alive and kicking. – Stephie Jul 21 '15 at 18:35
  • 3
    If you came to the conclusion that vgl. could be written there, why didn't you look up in a dictionary? – c.p. Jul 21 '15 at 19:14
  • I don't always find what I'm looking for in the LEO dictionary. But upon consultation, I could find this one in LEO. Sorry. – Sinister Cutlass Jul 21 '15 at 20:56
  • 1
    @SinisterCutlass, LEO is good, but sometimes you need more. than one dictionary. I suggest pons and dict.cc. – Stephie Jul 22 '15 at 10:17

Yes, vgl. (with an L) is a common abbreviation for vergleiche (compare). I believe the English equivalent is cf. (abbreviation of Latin confer, sometimes also used in German). The etwa (vergleiche etwa) indicates that there is a multitude of possible references, of which the author picked one in a more or less haphazard way.

Other abbreviations used in the same context include s. (siehe, see) and s. a. (siehe auch, see also).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.