Ich habe eine Frage, die den Gott, den Grund für alles betrifft.

I hope that this sentence may be translated as:

I have a question that concerns the God, the reason of everything.

The phrase den Grund für alles explains the meaning of den Gott; so should one put a comma after den Grund für alles and before the verb?

Just a side note: we would not use an article with Gott. – Takkat Jul 25 '15 at 14:00
    @Takkat, well, that depends. „Ich habe gehört, dass Deine Religion einen Gott, einen Teufel und noch so manch mehr Übernatürliches enthält. Ich habe eine Frage, die den Gott betrifft.“ – Carsten S Jul 25 '15 at 16:40
  • "Just a side note: we would not use an article with Gott" Oh my God! – Karl Jul 25 '15 at 16:56
    Actually I do find it extremely odd to use an article in the sentence above. From all what I know it should read "Ich habe eine Frage, die Gott betrifft". In case that had changed recently I'd be interested to learn more: german.stackexchange.com/questions/24637/… – Takkat Jul 25 '15 at 18:03
    I have the feeling that the article for God in the English version is wrong too. – Wrzlprmft Jul 25 '15 at 19:34

Yes, indeed; so-called appositions are enclosed by commas.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.