How you say "Is this seat free?" In german

closed as off-topic by Vogel612, Stephie, Emanuel, Ingmar, Burki Jul 30 '15 at 13:39

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – Stephie, Emanuel, Ingmar, Burki
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I voted to close this question as "Unclear what you're asking". I cannot infer from the question what the specific problem in translating the phrase is. As such I think it's a question not answerable in a specific manner. – Vogel612 Jul 30 '15 at 12:21
    Simple translation requests are off-topic here. Please explain what exactly is your concern. – Stephie Jul 30 '15 at 12:38
  • I don't find that this is a translation problem. Here we have a fixed situational formula and one has to know what standard formulas are used in the other language. – rogermue Aug 1 '15 at 1:16

For example like this:

• Ist dieser Platz / Sitz frei?

• Sitzt hier jemand?

Oder: Ist hier noch frei? – rogermue Aug 1 '15 at 1:12

You could as well ask if the seat is not free. From my experience I hear this a lot more on my daily commute to the office:

Sitzt hier schon jemand?

Which would mean something along this line: "Is someone already sitting here?" Or "Is this seat already taken?"

Like in English where you'd start with the phrase "Excuse me, ..." before asking if the seat it taken, it is also common to do the same in German to be polite: "Entschuldigung, ist dieser Platz noch frei?" – Konadi Jul 30 '15 at 13:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.