I'm afraid sometimes to compose complex questions because they could mean something that I didn't mean.

My problem now is that I would translate this question

Can you describe me the team I will work with?

into

Können Sie mir das Team beschreiben, ich werde mit arbeiten?

It sounds a bit weird to my beginner German ears and I don't know if in this case the verb is shifted to the end of the sentence since I don't have any subordinate conjunction. If so, will it translate into

Können Sie mir das Team beschreiben, ich mit arbeiten werde?

Or does it just go in one sentence like this:

Können Sie mir das Team ich werde mit arbeiten beschreiben?

Google translate suggested something that I cannot trust:

Können Sie mir den Teams werde ich mit der Arbeit beschreiben?

Google translate is awful. By far the least correct version. You should stop using it for English to German. It'll confuse you. – Emanuel Aug 2 '15 at 23:11
  • Oftopic : Exist out there in the wild something better that a plain dictionary ? – Tiberiu C. Aug 2 '15 at 23:14
  • for what purpose? – Emanuel Aug 2 '15 at 23:16
  • For personal study and improvement purposes. – Tiberiu C. Aug 2 '15 at 23:22
  • I don't get it. What do you want the book/resource to provide exactly that goes beyond what a dictionary is offering? – Emanuel Aug 2 '15 at 23:23

First of, it doesn't matter whether it is a question or not. What you're trying to do is fit in a relative sentence. The thing about English is that it

• tends to skip relative pronouns
  • moves the preposition to the end (prefix verbs anyone?)

German does neither of the two things! The structure German can do is this:

Can you describe to me the team with which I will work.

Now, the only tricky part is to choose the correct relative pronoun. That depends on gender, case and number. In this example it would be "dem"

Können Sie/Kannst du mir das Team beschreiben, mit dem ich arbeiten werde.

As for the Nebensatzkonnektor... think of relative pronouns as these things, too.

@Gerhard I fixed the "mir/mich"-issue as it wasn't part of this question. – Em1 Aug 3 '15 at 7:24
  • Google translate does much better starting with your English version. – Carsten S Aug 3 '15 at 9:31
  • Is it wrong to use "das" instead of "mit dem"? "Koennen Sie mir das Team beschreiben, das ich arbeiten werde" – Solo Aug 7 '15 at 6:29
  • @Solo... yes, it's very very wrong. What makes you think it could be right? Also, where did the "mit" go? – Emanuel Aug 7 '15 at 7:22
    @Solo... well, for all your language learning journey... just because something is a certain way in English does not mean it'll be the same just with different words in another language :). The whole "that" thing is a super common mistake. People say "das" as a relative pronoun all the time because that's what they'd say in English. It's really hard to get used to not doing it but I have a suggestion for you that you can do even without knowing any gender or case... ALWAYS USE "DIE"! It has a higher chance of being right, doesn't objectify persons and trains you that it's not "das" – Emanuel Aug 7 '15 at 7:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.