Original:

"Ich möchte, dass du erfährst wie schwer das Leben außerhalb dieses Schlosses ist. Nur dann wirst du zur Besinnung kommen", sagte er böse.

Google translated:

"I want you to know how hard is life outside of this castle. Only then you will come to their senses," he said angrily.

The German word dieses means these in English, so "these castles"? And why should there be put an article before Schlosses, doesn't Schlosses refer to a general category?

• Our question & answer format is designed to provide one question with one best answer. Selecting an answer that fits best to your question will not work out good if there were more than one question in a post. Therefore please avoid asking two issues in one question. It would be great if you can make an edit to your post to achieve this. Then you should also think of a title that better reflects your question. At present it is only a quote without a question. This will not help future visitors who may come here.
    – Takkat
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:07
  • Hm, your title implies a question about genitive. While "Schlosses" is indeed the genitive form, your actual question is about the word "dieses". So, your title is not in sync with the body. – There's also a comma missing in your original between "erfährst" and "wie". I didn't fix it as I'm not sure if you appropriately quoted something and your source already contains that error.
    – Em1
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:21
  • @Em1 I just began to learn german grammar not long ago, so interpreting "dieses" as "these" is normal. Problems in my question should be acceptable as a result.
    – pxc3110
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:28
    I suggest a new close reason “contains machine translation” :)
    – Carsten S
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:28
    What made you think "dieses" means "these"? Did you look it up?
    – Emanuel
    Aug 10 '15 at 11:58

I wouldn't believe everything what Google Translate offers to you. But, nevertheless, the translation is surprisingly good.

1. It should be:

Only then you will come round to your senses.

In this sentence there is nowhere the word "they" or "their".

2. Look at your translation, Google got it correct.

Life outside of this castle

This castle -> Dieses Schloss, and now in Genitiv: of this castle --> dieses Schlosses. English these translates as diese.

For more reading and understanding, please google for: Genitiv forms, definite articles, the pronoun diese/r/s.

• Hey, could you change "I wouldn't believe everything" to "I wouldn't believe anything" ;) – I mean, very basic and simple sentences are translated corrected more often than not; but when it comes to a more complicated sentence, Google fails.
    – Em1
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:23
    "wouldn't believe everything" means that some of, even most of, but not all of those give by google translate are flawed, "... anything" means that google translate is always wrong about anything.
    – pxc3110
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:26
  • @pxc3110 That was my point. My intent was to state that Google is always wrong. But there is a smiley that also indicates that I wasn't too serious about that and I acknowledged that there are cases where Google is correct (simple sentences).
    – Em1
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:29
  • @Barth Your answering is missing one thing, though. The reason why the article (or rather pronoun) is used.
    – Em1
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:30
  • If you do not know English well then it's fine. I already found that funny in the beginning:)
    – pxc3110
    Aug 10 '15 at 8:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.