Can someone explain me this phrase from Die Unendliche Geschichte?

und die sich den Teufel darum scheren

specificaly I’m finding it difficult to find the translation of darum scheren.

Full phrase:

Für mich sind Kinder nichts als blöde Schreihälse, Quälgeister, die alles kaputt machen, die die Bücher mit Marmelade vollschmieren und die Seiten zerreißen, und die sich den Teufel darum scheren, ob die Erwachsenen vielleicht auch ihre Sorgen und Kümmernisse haben.

You could say, "children [...] don't give a damn about the worries and problems of adults."

Technically, this answer is low quality. Unfortunately, it is also correct... so i have a hard time to vote to delete... – Burki Aug 12 '15 at 7:20
    @Burki: Answers that are just low quality should not be deleted anyway. Deletion is reserved for answers that actually aren’t answers in the first place. – Wrzlprmft Aug 12 '15 at 9:26

sich den Teufel um etwas scheren/kümmern

is an idiom that means to ignore something or to not care about something. However, for my feeling, it has often the much stronger meaning of: someone doesn't give a shit.

An example:

Kinder scheren sich einen/den Teufel um die Sorgen der Erwachsenen

= Children don't give a shit/ don't care about the troubles of adults (more freely: children have a devil-may-care attitude)

The original sentence is really long, so I shortened it to the important parts:

Kinder sind Schreihälse, die sich den Teufel darum scheren, ob die Erwachsenen auch Sorgen haben

= Children are squaller who don't give a shit/ don't care if adults have troubles, too.

It generally means that you really don't care about something or are really inconsiderate (in a conscious way). So in this case it means that the children are inconsiderate about the worries and problems of adults :)

• but that's not the "ob dieErwachsenen vielleicht auch ihre Sorgen und Kümmernisse haben" part ? – Nelson Teixeira Aug 12 '15 at 1:33
    "und die sich den Teufel darum scheren" and "ob die Erwachsenen..." belong together. The first refers to the second. – Saytiras Aug 12 '15 at 1:36
  • ok, but what I'm not understanding is what exactly means the "und die sich den Teufel darum scheren" part. Because I can translate "ob die Erwachsenen vielleicht auch ihre Sorgen und Kümmernisse haben" by "that the aldults maybe also have problems and worries with them". But what I couldn't find was the other part meaning. – Nelson Teixeira Aug 12 '15 at 1:41
  • There is no real translation, as its just a saying. It roughly means, that you don't care about something or are consciously inconsiderate. You could maybe translate it with not giving a damn about something. – Saytiras Aug 12 '15 at 1:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.