Seems both words mean "to cause"; what's the difference?

Did you look it up in a dictionary? What did you find? Why isn't the information not sufficient? – user unknown Aug 18 '15 at 21:33
    @userunknown Obviously they both had the entry of "cause" and nothing more. Else why would I ask? Though indeed there is more information in a German-German dictionary, I only looked at German-English dictionaries at the time. – xji Aug 19 '15 at 2:06

durch etwas bedingt

durch etwas verursacht

Both means caused by something.

But the first expresses the necessity of the condition expressed in durch etwas, while the second can easily include causation by happen chance.

durch die Rezession bedingt

Would be translated

caused by, or better, induced by the recession

One could see this clearly in these examples

bedingt entlassen means on parole, let go from prison with conditions, and conditions would be translated Bedingungen.

Verursachen says that something caused something (cause = Ursache), but one might only know in hindsight, because the cause was not a condition, just a catalyst or trigger.

"bedingt entlassen" is not a good example, imho. Different word class. – hiergiltdiestfu Aug 18 '15 at 17:35
  • I do think that it gives an idea about the semantic field of the word begingen, from which bedingt derives. The difference of the two words is in their semantic field. – Ralph M. Rickenbach Aug 19 '15 at 7:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.