Falsche Kleidung bei Regen, Schnee, und Kälte und schon tun Hals und Kopf weh

I somehow get the meaning that is

Wet and cold clothes caused by rain and snow make neck and head hurt.

If I got it right then the subject is Falsche Kleidung bei Regen, Schnee, und Kälte und schon as a noun phrase acting as subject, but still I don't understand what does und schon mean.

• One could reorder the sentence: ‘Falsche Kleidung bei Regen, Schnee und Kälte, und Hals und Kopf tun schon weh.’ The meaning is generally the same only the emphasis is sli~ghtly shifted. – Jan Sep 13 '15 at 21:18

With proper punctuation the sentence should read:

Falsche Kleidung bei Regen, Schnee und Kälte, und schon tun Hals und Kopf weh.

As an alternative to the last comma you could also use a dash.

This sentence has two parts. The first one

Falsche Kleidung bei Regen, Schnee und Kälte

is a shortened construction without verb that might have a special name that I couldn't find out. Anyways, it describes some conditions or circumstances and could be understood as

Wenn man bei Regen, Schnee und Kälte falsche Kleidung trägt

or (in a way that better matches the second part)

Man hat nur einmal bei Regen, Schnee und Kälte falsche Kleidung getragen

The second part

und schon tun Hals und Kopf weh

is quite a normal phrase with wehtun as the (separable) verb and Hals und Kopf being the subject. Und serves its usual purpose as a conjunction, and schon is an adverb that refers to the first part, saying "the condition in part 1 being true, and very quickly the consequences in part 2 will follow".

So the meaning of the whole sentence is

"Wear the wrong clothes when rain or snow fall, and very quickly your head and throat will hurt."

You can get a cold "this quick" if you wear the wrong clothing.

I think the best word giving a hint on the meaning of the "schon" in this sentence would be "already".

"Wrong clothing in rain, snow and cold weather and neck an head hurt already."

It's like "do it already" means "mach schon".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.