The question is clear, I don't see what is the difference between "Von etw ab" and "Von etw an", can someone explain the difference ? thanks.

As ironic as it may sound, I fail to see the clarity and thus am voting unclear. – Jan Sep 16 '15 at 8:58
    Please give us more context. give some examples please. – Hubert Schölnast Sep 16 '15 at 20:30
  • it's me who needs examples to understand, I'm looking for examples and explanations, I can easily find examples in the web, but without any further explanation. I need to know when to use the former form and when to use the later form .. – Michael Heidelberg Sep 17 '15 at 12:43

Whether you say "von ... ab" or "von ... an" is largely a question of regional or personal habit. In most situations both are equivalent. Exceptions occur when it's really a shortened form of some other expression, like the colloquial "davon mal ab" which is short for "davon einmal abgesehen".

Here's one difference: if you're referring to time, you can only say "von dann an". If you're referring to somebody or something leaving some place, you can only say "von dort ab". Example: "Von Morgen an fährt der Zug vom Hauptbahnhof ab." Starting tomorrow, the train will leave from the central station.

• QUOTE: referring to time, you can only say "von dann an" - Nun, 'Von da ab hat er nie mehr wieder gelogen' - klingt auch nicht ganz un-deutsch -> abgeleitet von 'Ab diesem Zeitpunkt...' ;-) – mramosch Sep 15 '15 at 19:32
  • QUOTE: referring to place, you can only say "von dort ab" - Was ist mit 'Gehe links an der alten Mühle vorbei und von dort an gehst du dann immer gerade aus weiter...' -> abgeleitet von 'voran gehen/ weiter gehen...' ;-) – mramosch Sep 15 '15 at 19:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.