This question already has an answer here:

I am just beginning to learn German and I was wondering if there was an easy way to determine if a noun was masculine, feminine or neuter? Or is it one of those things that I just learn over time?

marked as duplicate by boaten, Jan, Robert, Ingmar, hiergiltdiestfu Sep 16 '15 at 19:51

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• No, you have to learn the gender for each word - ideally not over time, but right at the beginning. There are some rules, e.g depending on suffix, but they generally don't help a lot when speaking, and they don't cover too many nouns either. – Gerhard Sep 16 '15 at 15:55
  • As Gerhard said, some words, such as the ones ending in -ung share the same genus. Similarly, words that come from other languages with a similar morphology do not (normally) change Genus when they enter the German language. An example for this is indeed Genus, which comes from Latin and remained a neuter noun. This can be helpful if you know Greek and Latin. There are some other "groups" which have a single Genus, but I personally suggest to just learn them by heart. Usually, the grouping part comes after having learnt the words, and patterns are helpful later on. – eslukas Sep 16 '15 at 16:18

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.