I came across this phrase for the first time, several times in the same novel. Is it much different from sich melden? Is it a more formal phrase?

2 Answers 2

It’s used in different contexts, as crx explained.

sich zu Wort melden

→ means more or less to raise your voice. It’s connected to a public environment, e.g. a discussion, a presentation (if someone raises a hand and asks a question), etc. Can also used in a more abstract context, e.g. if a politician or an organisation joins a public discussion via newspapers. It is strongly connected to having an opinion.

sich melden

→ is either used in an informal context: if you call/write someone to tell that person you are “there”. “There” could be, e.g. at a meeting point, out of your business meeting and ready to go to lunch, or simply alive and wanting to say hi.

The other use is in class, when a student raises his or her hand. It can also mean that gesture in a context like the presentation mentioned above, but than it’s more neutral than sich zu Wort melden.

Während des Vortrags meldete sich Herr Müller zu Wort.

→ Mr. Müller has an opinion he wants to share, probably he disagrees with the speaker

Während des Vortrags meldete sich Herr Müller

→ Mr. Müller could have anything to say, maybe just a question, or maybe a flaming speech, who knows.

From my native speaker view I would say "sich melden" means something like "Hey, here I am. You might give me the word" and "sich zu Wort melden" means "I am here and say. I want to enter the discussion". So both are similar but the second one is more firm.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.