Recently, I wanted to say something like:

According to the national emergency office …

but I didn’t find an expression for according to.

It seems to me that the translation nach refers to a place a person is going towards; like the Spanish hacia. This is why I ask, because maybe Germans say it differently?

So what would be an idiomatic expression?

• Welcome to German Language SE. Can you please specify what you found in a dictionary and why it did not satisfy you? Otherwise, your question is likely to be closed. See How do I ask good, on-topic questions for translations or about differences?. – Wrzlprmft Sep 20 '15 at 10:20
  • It seems to me that the translation "nach" is refered to a place a person can, is, will, would, have, go/going/go/go/gone, like the word "towards" in English or "hacia" in Spanish. This is why I asked, because maybe Germans say it differently. – Charlie Sep 20 '15 at 13:15
    Please edit your question to add this information. – Wrzlprmft Sep 20 '15 at 13:25
    The preposition "nach" has several meanings and uses. The one referring to a place someone's going to is just one of them. The one meaning "according to" is another one. – Tilman Schmidt Sep 20 '15 at 16:38
    Considering that the answers show that using a dictionary can also lead a native speaker to a wrong answer, I do not understand why this was closed. – Carsten S Sep 21 '15 at 10:03

It depends a bit on the exact context; in your example laut is the best option:

Laut Nationaler Notfallbehörde ...

Gemäß sounds okay, too. Or you could say:

Der Nationalen Notfallbehörde zufolge ...

»Entsprechend«, »gemäß«, »laut«

According to the national emergency office...
Laut dem nationalen Notfallbüro ...

Beachte, dass im Englischen nach »according« immer die Präposition »to« verwendet wird, die im Deutschen meist mit »zu« übersetzt wird, während das bei den deutschen Entsprechungen nicht der Fall ist.

Entsprechend, gemäß und laut verlangen den Dativ ohne dazwischengeschobene Präposition.

Seine Bewegung wurde, den Basketball-Regeln entsprechend, als Foul behandelt.
His move was treated as a foul, according to the rules of basketball.

Gemäß Hausordnung sind Hunde hier nicht erlaubt.
Dogs are not allowed here, according to the house rules.

• „Entsprechend“ halte ich hier für falsch. Bei „gemäß“ bin ich mir nicht sicher. – Carsten S Sep 20 '15 at 10:39
  • @CarstenS: Ich habe meine Antwort um zwei Beispiele ergänzt, um »entsprechend« und »gemäß« als korrekte Übersetzung von »according« zu belegen. – Hubert Schölnast Sep 20 '15 at 12:58
    according to kann sich auf eine (oft juristische) Person beziehen, die konkret etwas gesagt hat, oder auf einen Text (Regeln etc.), der etwas abstrakt besagt. gemäß und entsprechend sollte man nur für zweiteres verwenden. – Crissov Sep 20 '15 at 18:53

In Übereinstimmung mit dem nationalen Notfallbüro...

... in addition to the other suggestions.

• My suggesion is absolutely acceptable: dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/… – DPF Oct 4 '15 at 13:35
    I think that "according to the NEO, X" simply means "the NEO says X". While "In Übereinstimmung mit" suggests that we, or someone, agrees with what the NEO says. – Michael Kay Oct 9 '15 at 20:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.