How do you ask when you want to know any third persons cell number? e.g.:

A: Du hast mich angerufen, aber wie weißt du, was meine Handynummer ist?
B: Ich habe sie von Daniel gelernt/erfahren/erhalten

Is this conversation possible?

Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take a tour of the site and visit the help center to learn all about it. Unfortunately, simple single-word translation requests are off-topic here. Did you attempt to look up possible words in a dictionary? If so, do you have an assumption which ones work better than others and why? I would recommend you added that to your question, otherwise it might get closed for simple translation requesting. – Jan Sep 30 '15 at 19:01
  • thanks for welcoming and being accepted to the community, i just would like to know, if we can say: "ich habe sie von Daniel gelernt? – Dragut Sep 30 '15 at 19:21
  • Gelernt is not a good choice, since it implies learning in the traditional sense. Erfahren or erhalten are better coices. – Jan Sep 30 '15 at 19:27
  • i think "wir lernen nur nützliche Informationen" like geo, math etc. what is the field that " lernen" could be not used or could be used? what can one learn or what can not learn? – Dragut Sep 30 '15 at 19:37
    When (not) to use lernen could be a separate question. My short take on it: lernen is used when there is some mental work involved that goes beyond hearing and noting simple facts like phone numbers. – Matthias Sep 30 '15 at 20:43

You would ask woher? or von wem?, und you could use haben in place of wissen:

... aber [woher | von wem] [weißt | hast] du meine Handynummer?

For the answer, actually the best choice would be to omit the verb:

Ich habe sie von Daniel.

If you want to have a verb in it, than use bekommen. You could also rephrase it this way:

Daniel hat sie mir gegeben.

• "ich habe deine Handynummer von Daniel, und wollte ich dich am Wochende zweimal anrufen, aber du hast nicht beantwortet" is this konstruction grammatically and in meaning correct,and could you please say how to say when another person on the line,do you say: Telephon ist besetzt oder beschäftigt? – Dragut Sep 30 '15 at 20:56
    @Bergmann "ich wollte" and "geantwortet", otherwise correct; "Das Telefon ist besetzt.", but please avoid asking new questions in comments. – Matthias Sep 30 '15 at 21:00
  • do i need to create new titel instead then? – Dragut Sep 30 '15 at 21:04
  • Why do you ignore erhalten and erfahren? – Carsten S Sep 30 '15 at 21:42
  • @Bergmann Yes, new question should always be with Ask question up on the top. But beware that some questions might be deemed to trivial and would be better asked in the German Language Chat (once you have 20 rep). – Jan Oct 1 '15 at 10:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.