I am looking for an old German story that talks about a boy called Mutchi, who lives many adventures. The problem is I don't remember many details about the story. I know he takes a ride with a fish to get to the bottom of the ocean , he travels with an eagle through the sky, and then the night comes (and it is a woman dressed in black) and he starts asking for his mum. Soon after that the boy wakes up behind a bush and realises he had been dreaming all along. This is all I can remember. I really wanted to find this book for my grandma cause her mother used to read it to her ( in German, from a German book with children's stories). This took place in the early forties, so that means the book has got to be older than that. Anyone at all who can help me with that?

Die Frage wird kaum jemanden finden, der die gleiche Frage hat. Je nach Kürze des Titels wird sie zu Geschwafel führen, nur um die Länge auf das Mindestmaß auszudehnen. Der Schließgrund 'zu spezifisch' ist aber aus der Liste der Gründe entfernt worden - solche Fragen gehören allenfalls in den Chat, der wiederum eine höhere Reputation verlangt. – user unknown Oct 3 '15 at 3:14
    Are you really sure that it is a german story? Mutchi is not a German name. There is no German word that contains the sequence »tchi«. – Hubert Schölnast Oct 3 '15 at 6:50
  • @userunknown You could vote for story identification being off-topic, referring to this Meta question. But I don't see a problem leaving this question open. In particular the tch vs. tsch problem could be of wider interest. – Matthias Oct 3 '15 at 11:11
  • I am closing this question because the community decided that story-identification questions are not on-topic. – Wrzlprmft Jan 2 '17 at 17:00

The character sequence "tch" is rarely found in German words. The sound that English speakers would probably denote this way would rather be transcribed "tsch". So I changed Mutchi to Mutschi, and googling for "Mutschi Junge" I very quickly found the book Aus jüdischer Seele. Ausgewählte Werke, which looks like it contains a story matching your description. Unfortunately, I cannot tell the title from the Google Books excerpt.

Credits go to Loong for being smart enough to browse the book's table of contents and finding a nicely illustrated PDF version of the same story, which is by Jakob Loewenberg and is simply called "Mutschi".

The sequence »tch« can only be found in German word if it is part of »tchen«, where »chen« is the diminutive suffix: »Brötchen«, »Bärtchen«, »Heftchen«. You can also find it in diminutive versions of names: »Gretchen«. But there is not a single german word where »tch« is followed by »i«. – Hubert Schölnast Oct 3 '15 at 10:44
    @HubertSchölnast So Ostchile and Westchile are not German words? Not to mention Tchibo? ;-) – Matthias Oct 3 '15 at 11:01
  • Zumindest die Allesverkäuferei mit angeschossener Kaffeerösterei hätte ich spontan Tschibo geschrieben …;) – Jan Oct 3 '15 at 13:23
  • Since German words containing tsch are not easy to be found either, I'd like to link here to one of the most fascinating words of my childhood: Tschitscheringrün. – Matthias Oct 3 '15 at 14:07
    @Matthias: Chile ist nicht wirklich ein deutsches Wort. Es ist ein Fremdwort, dass aus einer südamerikanischen Indianersprache stammt. Und die erste Silbe des Markennamens Tchibo geht auf den Familiennamen des armenisch-stämmigen Gründers Carl Tchilling-Hiryan zurück, ist also auch nicht wirklich deutsch. – Hubert Schölnast Oct 3 '15 at 14:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.