Just looking for a nice succinct way to say these terms in German:

worth a read

and

worth a listen (video).

Can I say lesenswert?

*Sadly this isn’t in a dictionary as it is a phrase. Dictionaries give you individual words and I am searching English to German, not the other way around. I got lesenswert from Google Translate and you can’t trust these 100 % completely so I wanted to ask to verify.

• Dictionary doesn't translate terms or sentences - unfair to down vote based on that. – cheznead Oct 5 '15 at 12:57
    Another note: A video will most likely be worth a watch ;) – Jan Oct 5 '15 at 13:04
  • dict.leo.org/dictQuery/m-vocab/ende/… finds It's worth reading with a translation. (cc @Jan) – chirlu Oct 5 '15 at 13:08
  • Look up worth and you'll find it. You also get "worth knowing/seeing/considering/living/mentioning/..." – Em1 Oct 5 '15 at 19:52
  • Am I the only one who finds a subtle difference between "worth reading" and "worth a read" etc.? The latter form seems more casual to me, not quite as committed. "Give it a try" (the attempt doesn't cost much) vs."try it" (it's worth it). With "try" one can carry that into German ("einen Versuch wert" (but maybe not another) vs. "versuchenswert"); with "worth a read" I don't see how to distinguish it. – Peter - Reinstate Monica Oct 5 '15 at 22:51

Generally every worth a something expression can be (more or less idiomatically) translated to something-wert in German. So a site, a video or a picture can be sehenswert, a book or an article can be lesenswert and a song can be hörenswert.

Unfortunately, it gets less idiomatic very quickly. So if something is worth a try, it would be a strech to say versuchenswert (but the word would nonetheless be understood). And attempting a worth a buy as kaufenswert is too far removed to actually work. The gist would still be understood, but you would get a ‘what the heck are you trying to say?’-look.

There are a few hits for versuchenswert (even in books), though einen Versuch wert is of course more idiomatic. Kaufenswert, on the other hand, is quite common. – chirlu Oct 5 '15 at 14:21
  • @chirlu okay, erm ... give me a better example >_<' – Jan Oct 5 '15 at 14:56

Yes, lesenswert and sehenswert are what your dictionary will suggest.

• Sadly this isn't in a dictionary as it is a phrase. I got it from google translate and you can't trust these 100% completely so I wanted to ask to verify. – cheznead Oct 5 '15 at 12:56
    @shinninja Both words can be found in a German or a German to English dictionary. – Crissov Oct 5 '15 at 13:06
  • 'worth a read' cannot. 'worth' and 'read' yes, but not 'worth a read'. I didn't know about Leo and use a print dictionary ;) – cheznead Oct 5 '15 at 13:11
  • @shinninja, since you had already found it, you could have looked up lesenswert in a dictionary. – Carsten S Oct 5 '15 at 14:18
    @shinninja: Good paper dictionaries list phrases, too. – chirlu Oct 5 '15 at 14:22

dict.cc is a great resource (not sure if you tried it, but just in case).

This is what I pulled from that: http://www.dict.cc/?s=worth+a+try

Of course, that only helps if there is a distinct noun for what you're declaring as worth. I'm not sure if "Eine Lesung wert" or "Eine Anhoerung wert" sounds natural in German.

No, the -ung versions do not sound natural at all. One could use -en infinitives instead: ein Lesen wert, ein Anhören wert. However, that will still sound strange in many a situation. – Crissov Oct 6 '15 at 5:38
    Lesung und Anhörung bedeuten etwas ganz anderes als etwas zu lesen bzw anzuhören: eine Lesung gibt es in der Kirche (lecture), und eine Anhörung vor Gericht (official hearing). Wenn Du Lesung und Anhörung im Sinne der Frage verwendest, verdrehst Du die Bedeutung. – Robert Oct 6 '15 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.