Can someone translate this into English:

Er hat mit ihr geschäkert.

The verb "schäckern" has no entry in dict.leo.org .


The correct spelling is schäkern which you can find in most dictionaries.

closed as off topic by splattne Mar 15 '12 at 6:49

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Shake it, babe! If you write it correctly with one 'k', you'll find it at dict.leo.org as to flirt with so. . As schäckern, you would need to spell it like meckern, while it is longer, like Apothekern: "Wir schäkern, mit den Apothjekern". – user unknown Feb 3 '12 at 2:20
  • 3
    I vote to close because when I tried searching "schäckern" I didn't find it as you said, but the spelling was suggested. – Alenanno Feb 4 '12 at 12:01

I think the correct spelling is "geschäkert":

VERB: schäkern | schäkerte | geschäkert

So, the meaning of the sentence should be:

He was flirting with her.


It's not "schäckern", it's schäkern, without the 'c'. The origin of that word is:

"Rotwelsch or Gaunersprache, [...] a secret language, a cant or thieves' argot, spoken by covert groups primarily in southern Germany and Switzerland." (Wikipedia, see also Gibt es Rotwelsch mittlerweile auch in der gehobenen Sprache?)

I believe it used to be more common a few decades ago (that's not scientific, but a childhood memory).

With the 'c' gone, you find it in leo.org: my favourite translation here would be "to dally with sb.", but all others are fine.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.