I am looking for a true German word for a Computer user with "extra permissions and education". Any suggestions?

  • 1
    Soweit ich beobachte, ist Poweruser durchaus üblich im Deutschen.
    – Wolf
    Oct 9 '15 at 22:13
  • Bei mir im Geschäft heissen Keyuser Keyuser. Sie auch Wikipedia dazu. Aber im Detail ist die Frage nicht beantwortbar solange unklar ist, was ein Keyuser eigentlich sein soll.
    – knut
    Oct 10 '15 at 11:10
  • 2
    I have been working for nearly 30 years in IT now, and have never heard of keyusers or (rather!) key users before. A quick Google search suggests that this term is specific to SAP. Oct 10 '15 at 12:16
  • The German Wikipedia has entries for both Key-User and Power-User, and no equivalent "true" German term is suggested there. Oct 10 '15 at 12:49
  • @WalterTross I work with a SAP-system ;)
    – knut
    Oct 10 '15 at 16:21

Both expressions are common expressions in German, but at least for me the have different meanings:

A key user is a special trained user. The user is not part if the IT-team, but a user and (s)he is a connection between users and IT-team. See also Wikipedia.

A power user is an experienced user who knows the program very good and uses much more features as the standard user (these guys makes the life of key users difficult, because the ask question the key user can't answer and must be forwarded to the IT-team). There is a big chance, that power users become the next generation key user.

In my business key users are called key users (it is an undertsandable foreign word). Key users also teach the normal users and in this function they are also called Multiplikatoren (ok, also no pure German word, but the origin is not English).


The official Microsoft language portal for translation their products says, that the right translation for Power user is Hauptbenutzer (main user in free translation)

You can search the IT terms on your own here.

  • It sounds awkward to me to translate user as Benutzer. I’d rather use Nutzer (or Anwender) instead.
    – Philipp
    Oct 12 '15 at 10:15
  • Duden dictionary rates the frequency of the both words as equal. In my German operating system I met actually only "Benutzer" form. Oct 12 '15 at 10:23

For someone who works in IT, you could say Systemadministrator or Nutzer mit erweiterten Rechten (in contrast to a user with a guest account or with standard permissions).

For someone who likes to tinker with computers at home and has some knowledge, being it related to hardware or software, you could take a look at the answers to this question.

  • Unter Windows gibt es (oder gab es) einen "Hauptbenutzer", keine Ahnung, ob das was damit zu tun hat. Das etwas saloppere Admin kenne ich - vorwiegend aus der gesprochenen Sprache - ebenso Sysop.
    – Wolf
    Oct 9 '15 at 22:10
  • Key User sind aber nicht unbedingt Systemadministrotoren.
    – knut
    Oct 10 '15 at 11:07
  • @knut Das Problem ist, dass aus der Frage nicht klar hervorgeht, was eigentlich gemeint ist. „Key user“ und „power user” sind für mich auch zwei völlig verschiedene Dinge. edit: oh, habe deine Antwort gerade gelesen.
    – Philipp
    Oct 10 '15 at 15:27
  • @Philipp Meine Antwort enstand auch erst als mir ein deutscher Begriff für einen Sonderfall einfiel. Im Fragetext hat der OP ja auch etwas definiert was er meint.
    – knut
    Oct 10 '15 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.