I want to use a zu + Infinitive construction within a relative clause, but I wasn’t sure what the word order should be.

The film I have chosen to study is the Lives of Others.

Would the zu studieren go within or after the relative clause?

Der Film, den ich zu studieren gewählt habe, ist das Leben der Anderen.

or

Der Film, den ich gewählt habe, zu studieren, ist das Leben der Anderen.

I think "studieren" is the wrong word here. I would rephrase it to: Den Film, den ich untersuchen werde (future)/den ich untersucht habe (past)/für den ich mich entschieden habe, ist „Das Leben der Anderen". – Iris Oct 12 '15 at 10:17
  • @Iris Why do you say den Film (Akkusativ), rather than Nominativ, when it is at the start of the main clause, using sein? – Charlie Harding Oct 12 '15 at 10:22
  • @Iris Does that not just make the relative pronoun, Der Film, den ich…, accusative, without affecting the article in the main clause? – Charlie Harding Oct 12 '15 at 10:30
  • Actually, I am not sure what's correct: "der Film" or "den Film". My native feeling of language fails here... (but I think, you are right, that my "den Film" is wrong) – Iris Oct 12 '15 at 10:30
    The correct sentence has to start with: "Der Film, den ich..." (native speaker) – Max Oct 12 '15 at 10:32

Korrekterweise würde man wohl sagen:

Der Film, den ich zum Studieren gewählt habe, hat den Titel das Leben der Anderen.

Dies liegt an dem Wort gewählt. Der zu + Infinitiv wäre hier meiner Meinung nach falsch. Allerdings würde es heißen:

Der Film, den ich versucht habe zu studieren, hat den Titel das Leben der Anderen.

Das kann folgendermaßen begründet werden:

• Ich versuche etwas zu tun. (zu + Infinitiv) / Ich habe versucht etwas zu tun.

• Ich wähle etwas. / Ich habe etwas gewählt.

Das Relativpronomen muss den heißen, da der Film im Akkusativ steht. Frage: Wen oder was habe ich zum Studieren gewählt? Antwort: den Film

In a written text the most elegant word order if we want to stay close to your construction is

Der Film, den zu studieren ich gewählt habe, ist das Leben der anderen.

This does however sound somewhat formal, so one would probably choose a different construction.

Now regarding the choice of words: As has been noted in the comments, studieren may not be the best choice, for example untersuchen could be better. And I choose to do sth can be translated with ich entschließe/entscheide mich, etw. zu tun. Here however, wählen is actually a good choice if it refers to the movie, not its study, as in Max’ answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.