I'm trying to understand the main reason of using "ein" in front of most german verbs.Are there some correlations amoung such kind of verbs, i mean does "ein" charge the same meaning on a verb? e.g. i know "packen" means "to pack" but i'm not sure it has correlation with "einpacken" i'm always presuming a correlation with "word stem" and "ein". Could you please this blur in my mind clarify?

• Can you please be more specific as to what your question is? Is it the etymology of ein, the history of prefixes in general or what linguistic features of German are genereally beneficial for such constructions? Or do you just want to know why it’s ein and not in? – Wrzlprmft Oct 15 '15 at 20:10
  • I was wondering what is the contribution of "ein-" in a word, and in some words it stays as opposite of "aus" but actually aus and ein are not opposite. – Dragut Oct 15 '15 at 20:14
  • Can you edit your question to reflect this and focus on this? Your comment is much clearer than your actual question. – Wrzlprmft Oct 15 '15 at 20:23
  • Why do you think "ein-" and "aus-" are not opposite? – Eller Oct 16 '15 at 7:03
    @user1474062 Because "ein-/auswandern" have more specific meanings than just "wandern". Compare "to give" vs. "to give up" or "to give in" in English. – Eller Oct 16 '15 at 9:52

In a way auswandern can be seen as a shortened herauswandern. In the same way einwandern is short for hereinwandern. And heraus and herein are of course opposites.

• Hi and welcome to German Language Stack Exchange. Feel free to take the tour and visit the help center to learn more about the site. – Jan Oct 16 '15 at 13:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.